"Scuol and the Lower Engadine Valley" Top 5 Page for this destination Scuol by german_eagle
Scuol Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 242 photos
The Engadine Valley, which is my favourite vacation destination, is separated into two quite different parts: Lower and Upper Engadine. For the Upper Engadine with its major place St. Moritz please see my St. Moritz page.
This page is about the Lower Engadine Valley which is called Engiadina Basse in local language "Rumansch". It is located in the far east of Switzerland, bordering to Austria in the north and sharing a short borderline with Italy in the east.
It is a lovely valley along the Inn river, with huge mountains to both sides, reaching more than 3000 meters, with large glaciers in the northern mountain range (Silvretta). The Lower Engadine takes profit of its location in the Central Alps - only relatively little rain and a lot of sun. Shortly said, the weather tends to be like on the Southern side of the Alps.
The Lower Engadine doesn't know the crowds of the famous places in the Alps. It is a region for hikers, bikers, skiiers or just recreation. The Inn river offers plenty of water sports, e.g. fantastic whitewater rafting. But you can read all this in the tips section.
When being in the Lower Engadine you MUST have a closer look at the quaint villages: they are probably some of the most beautiful in the Alps. Old stone houses, decorated with sgraffiti, surrounding small squares with fountains, small cobbled streets leading around the corner to the next square. Minor roads cross rivers on covered wooden bridges.
The locals remained their language and culture well. They are a (constitutional protected) minority in Switzerland and speak the language Rumansch. You can get by with German very well, and English is usually spoken, especially by the younger folks.
Something you probably wouldn't expect in that valley is a golf course. A fine one, definitely. But that comes with the... more travel advice
We only had coffee and cake there on the outdoor terrace, so I cannot comment on their restaurant (which appeared to be... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Scuol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scuol and the Lower Engadine Valley"
- "Panorama views and relax"
- "Great Place to spend X-mas and New Year"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Scuol
- Hotels in Scuol
- Transportation in Scuol
- Restaurants in Scuol
- Shopping in Scuol
- Warnings and Dangers in Scuol
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Scuol
- 43 Reviews
- 182 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Scuol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Scuol
Photos in ScuolSee All Photos (182)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 190 reviews, 831 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 59 reviews, 292 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 247 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Schloß Pillnitz Intro, 42 reviews, 213 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kamenz Intro, 36 reviews, 214 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 10 travelogues