"Solothurn - a jewel amongst Swiss towns" Top 5 Page for this destination Solothurn by german_eagle

Solothurn Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 103 photos

Solothurn is the capital of the canton with the same name - but still a town, not a bustling city.

Beside Trier it was one of the earliest Roman settlements north of the Alps.

It harmoniously combines Italian grandeur with French charm and Swiss German stability. Medieval gates and towers, imposing fortifications, beautiful historic fountains and churches are to find within the small town.

Solothurn's special assets include the Jura mountains (Weissenstein) as well as the nearby recreation area on the Aare river and the Jura lakes.

This was my second visit of Solothurn (I stopped for extensive lunch picnic by the river) and I plan to go back again. Better said, I would love to immediately hop on a train and go back!!

• Last visit to Solothurn: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Sep 30, 2003

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Sounds like quite a nice place to pay a visit, thanks for sharing!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2009 at 5:10 AM

I enjoyed reading your new tip on Wiedlisbach, which I must admit I had never heard of up to now. I imagine they were unhappy at the time about not participating in the boom of the 19th century, but glad now to have preserved the picturesque old town.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2008 at 10:23 AM

I'm quite ashamed to say that I have never visited Solothurn. But I have been on the Weissenstein :)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2005 at 12:10 PM

an interesting page, Ingo ! I was living for 3 years in Switzerland, but for some reason I never saw Solothurn :-((

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2005 at 12:25 PM

picnic on the Aare sounds like a great prelude to a real Juaran adventure ;-\

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2005 at 5:33 AM

Solothurn really is a nice town! Wonderful page, Ingo!

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2005 at 11:17 PM

The Old Town sounds so charming!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2004 at 9:11 PM

nicht schlecht, super intro pic and great Travelogues..awesome photography .. thank you for sharing Ingo

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2003 at 12:10 PM

Looks like a nice place with more then eleven reasons to be visited!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2003 at 9:58 AM

Beautiful pictures of lovely town! Fountains and architecture there reminds me Bern. Thanks for sharing :-)

Badges & Stats in Solothurn

Have you been to Solothurn?

Latest Activity in Solothurn