"Solothurn - a jewel amongst Swiss towns" Top 5 Page for this destination Solothurn by german_eagle
Solothurn Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 104 photos
Solothurn is the capital of the canton with the same name - but still a town, not a bustling city.
Beside Trier it was one of the earliest Roman settlements north of the Alps.
It harmoniously combines Italian grandeur with French charm and Swiss German stability. Medieval gates and towers, imposing fortifications, beautiful historic fountains and churches are to find within the small town.
Solothurn's special assets include the Jura mountains (Weissenstein) as well as the nearby recreation area on the Aare river and the Jura lakes.
This was my second visit of Solothurn (I stopped for extensive lunch picnic by the river) and I plan to go back again. Better said, I would love to immediately hop on a train and go back!!
This (very) small town is actually in the canton Bern but really close to Solothurn - just 10 km/6 mi away. It is... more travel advice
Basel Gate is the eastern entrance of the old town. It was built 1504 - 35. It is a mighty city gate with strong... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Solothurn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Solothurn - a jewel amongst Swiss towns"
- "Baroque beauty"
- "White Town of St. Urs"
- "THE CITY ON THE AARE RIVER"
- "bratsch's new Solothurn Page"
- "A City filled with History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Solothurn
- Hotels in Solothurn
- Nightlife in Solothurn
- Restaurants in Solothurn
- Shopping in Solothurn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Solothurn
- 12 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Solothurn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Solothurn
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 192 reviews, 798 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 71 reviews, 418 photos, 16 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 346 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz Intro, 56 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 52 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 250 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos