Leipzig Hotel Tips by german_eagle Top 5 Page for this destination
Leipzig Hotels: 12,118 reviews and 37 photos
The Westin Leipzig
The Westin is located a bit north of the old town but it is only a five minutes walk there and also to the Central Railway Station (use entrance/exit West of the station building). Other hotels are more convenient, but I thought I'd give it a try. I enjoyed my stay in Leipzig and the hotel was pretty good - but not as good as expected (or as they promise).
I booked a single room in the Deluxe category for 84 Euro per night incl. breakfast through the German travel company "DERTOUR". Really a steal for a hotel of that category. My voucher said "Late Check Out until 3 pm if available" which worked out well. It also said "a 0.75 l bottle of mineral water per room and stay" which was only a 0.5 l bottle. Ok, no big deal but still ... When I arrived at noon the room was not ready yet, which is ok (though it is the first time this has happened to me in that hotel category) and the promised the room would be ready by 3 pm. Well, it was *not* ready when I returned to the hotel at 3 pm but upon insisting I they had another room for me. The room was relatively small, decor/furnishing was quite ugly (except the bathroom which was excellent) but it had all the stuff you need (and don't need). One thing that annoyed me was the door to the bathroom which was probably a relic from the old East German days and didn't close well.
Unique Qualities: The fitness area was very good, the pool area with sauna was ok. Breakfast buffet was excellent. I did not try one of their restaurants, so no comment on those. The lobby bar was a bustling place Friday night with a crowd of bankers that had a congress at the Westin. No free internet access and their prices for using the "business corner" or WLAN in the room were prohibitive.
I wouldn't say it is a bad hotel but I would expect more in that category. If I had not gotten such an excellent rate I'd regret staying there. I probably will not stay there again given the choice of hotels in Leipzig.
Address: Gerberstrasse 15, Leipzig, Saxony, 04105, Germany
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: a short walk northwest of the central railway station
My single room
Main reason for picking this hotel was the very central location right across the street from the central railway station. The main sights in the old town are only a few minutes away. The building was damaged in WW2 but nicely restored. It does have charm (unlike the chain hotels). Service was excellent. I enjoyed relaxing in their hot tub and the sauna. Breakfast buffet is very good, served downstairs in the restaurant Steak Train, the bistro on the first floor and, if the hotel is fully booked, also on the lobby's gallery upstairs. Internet access is free, but I noticed once their computer was infected with viruses and trojans. Seems they cleaned it the other day, though.
My single room was located on the fifth floor and had a decent size. The view was nothing special. It was relatively quiet (I am a light sleeper) at night, given the central location. Shower and sink were integrated in the room, WC separate. The mattress could have been better ... too soft for my taste.
Unique Qualities: Very central location, charm, excellent service.
Address: Richard-Wagner-Str. 7, Leipzig 04109
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Downtown, right vis-a-vis from the central railway station
More Reviews (66)
- See All New commuter train lines/stations
- See All Street art
- Trams crossing!
- See All Panorama Tower
german_eagle's Related Pages
Leipzig Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Leipzig - petit Paris (Goethe's words)"
- "Opera and cycling in Leipzig"
- "For those about to Rock!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Leipzig
- Hotels in Leipzig
- Transportation in Leipzig
- Nightlife in Leipzig
- Restaurants in Leipzig
- Shopping in Leipzig
- Warnings and Dangers in Leipzig
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Leipzig
- 68 Reviews
- 190 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Leipzig?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leipzig
- Posted in Travel Switzerland Forum "Re: Hiking in Ticino"
- Commented on one of Trekki's Leipzig tips
- Wrote a Review New commuter train lines/stations about Getting Around By Public Transport in Leipzig Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Railway"
- created a Leipzig Travelogue "City Museum (Old City Hall)"
Photos in LeipzigSee All Photos (190)
Read real reviews about Leipzig Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 194 reviews, 814 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 71 reviews, 418 photos, 16 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 347 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 53 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz Intro, 56 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 51 reviews, 256 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Altenberg Intro, 51 reviews, 236 photos
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (60)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- Thomaskirche & Thomanerchor- 18 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Old City Hall- 14 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Architecture / Historical Sites- 21 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Völkerschlachtdenkmal (Monument of the Battle of the Nations)- 10 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Nikolaikirche (Church of St. Nicholai)- 12 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Passages In The City- 13 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Bach Monument/Museum- 9 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Central Railway Station- 10 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Museum Runde Ecke (Round Corner)- 10 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Zoo / Zoological Park / Wild Park- 7 Reviews, 15 Photos
See All Leipzig Things to Do