"Leipzig - petit Paris (Goethe's words)" Top 5 Page for this destination Leipzig by german_eagle
Leipzig Travel Guide: 521 reviews and 1,123 photos
First some facts about Leipzig:
Located in East Germany (Saxony), pop. about 450'000, altitude 118 m.
In WWII Leipzig's old town was badly damaged. Much has been restored, but the wounds are obvious.
Everytime I visit Leipzig I feel like in a different world (coming from Dresden, where I live). It is completely different from Dresden, although only 100 km away and still in Saxony!
While Dresden has been Royal Residence for a long time, Leipzig has always been a place for trade and bourgeoise spirit. Its university is the second oldest in Germany and so it can look back on a long tradition of science, literature, music etc. Leipzig is *the* German capital of books!
And IMO it did not happen by accident that the "change" in East Germany started in Leipzig. If there was a place for initiation of this "peaceful revolution" it had to be Leipzig with its liberal spirit.
Leipzig is not imagineable without its famous musicians, writers, scientists - and merchant princes who gave the money!
Probably the most outstanding person is Johann Sebastian Bach. He worked in Leipzig from 1723 to 1750. His contribution to music is not high enough to appreciate. Leipzig realised his importance and pays attention to his heritage.
Bach was not the only one famous person who lived and worked in Leipzig. I leave it to you to explore the city in their footsteps.
In winter 2009 I attended the premiere of the ballet "Giselle" at the Leipzig opera house with American friends.... more travel advice
In August 2007 I had a mini VT-meeting with Christian aka "Leipzig". He didn't fail to drag me to one of the two... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Leipzig Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Leipzig - petit Paris (Goethe's words)"
- "Opera and cycling in Leipzig"
- "For those about to Rock!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Leipzig
- Hotels in Leipzig
- Transportation in Leipzig
- Nightlife in Leipzig
- Restaurants in Leipzig
- Shopping in Leipzig
- Warnings and Dangers in Leipzig
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Leipzig
- 64 Reviews
- 169 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Leipzig?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leipzig
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 190 reviews, 831 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 59 reviews, 292 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 247 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Schloß Pillnitz Intro, 42 reviews, 213 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kamenz Intro, 36 reviews, 214 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 10 travelogues