"Leipzig - petit Paris (Goethe's words)" Top 5 Page for this destination Leipzig by german_eagle

Leipzig Travel Guide: 521 reviews and 1,123 photos

First some facts about Leipzig:
Located in East Germany (Saxony), pop. about 450'000, altitude 118 m.

In WWII Leipzig's old town was badly damaged. Much has been restored, but the wounds are obvious.

Everytime I visit Leipzig I feel like in a different world (coming from Dresden, where I live). It is completely different from Dresden, although only 100 km away and still in Saxony!

While Dresden has been Royal Residence for a long time, Leipzig has always been a place for trade and bourgeoise spirit. Its university is the second oldest in Germany and so it can look back on a long tradition of science, literature, music etc. Leipzig is *the* German capital of books!

And IMO it did not happen by accident that the "change" in East Germany started in Leipzig. If there was a place for initiation of this "peaceful revolution" it had to be Leipzig with its liberal spirit.

Leipzig is not imagineable without its famous musicians, writers, scientists - and merchant princes who gave the money!

Probably the most outstanding person is Johann Sebastian Bach. He worked in Leipzig from 1723 to 1750. His contribution to music is not high enough to appreciate. Leipzig realised his importance and pays attention to his heritage.

Bach was not the only one famous person who lived and worked in Leipzig. I leave it to you to explore the city in their footsteps.

• Intro Updated Nov 8, 2003

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2012 at 2:17 AM

I can’t believe it’s been over seven years since I last looked at this page. You have done lots of fine updates since then. Glad you went to the Schiller House; I also liked it when I went there. Though I have been to several operas in Leipzig, I still haven’t been to a concert at the Gewandhaus. Must do that next time.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Again you did a fine job of describing the sites and the pictures are fantastic. Thanks for you viewpoint of what to see if we go here.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Ingo, fabulous updates here. A pity that the ICE train got more expensive. It is interesting to read about your experiences at the Westin. I like this Bell of Democracy sight. I once spent 1,5 h in Leipzig, but it was obviously not enough. :-)

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2009 at 6:44 AM

You certainly had some luxury on your recent visit to Leipzig ;)

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2009 at 1:11 AM

great info! do u think one and half day is enough to explore the city?

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2007 at 7:46 AM

So many forgotten places when we go to Germany...I would love to see Leipzig even though that most visitors go to Berlin, Munchen, Koln, or Hamburg. I am a big fan of all DEUTSCHLAND!!!

• ericaj.'s Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2006 at 4:49 AM

Absolutely wonderful tips on Leipzig. The next time I see a travel deal advertised for this city I will seriously be considering a visit!

• Dec 3, 2005 at 10:11 AM

Lovely Leipzig page! I shall have to add it to my list of *must see* German cities! Thanks, Maria :))

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2005 at 12:36 AM

beautiful pages about saxony! golo

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2005 at 11:20 AM

I'm sure that we'll meet at Antikhaus for one of Christian's VT meeting some day.

Badges & Stats in Leipzig

Have you been to Leipzig?

Latest Activity in Leipzig