"Leipzig - petit Paris (Goethe's words)" Top 5 Page for this destination Leipzig by german_eagle
Leipzig Travel Guide: 528 reviews and 1,151 photos
First some facts about Leipzig:
Located in East Germany (Saxony), pop. about 450'000, altitude 118 m.
In WWII Leipzig's old town was badly damaged. Much has been restored, but the wounds are obvious.
Everytime I visit Leipzig I feel like in a different world (coming from Dresden, where I live). It is completely different from Dresden, although only 100 km away and still in Saxony!
While Dresden has been Royal Residence for a long time, Leipzig has always been a place for trade and bourgeoise spirit. Its university is the second oldest in Germany and so it can look back on a long tradition of science, literature, music etc. Leipzig is *the* German capital of books!
And IMO it did not happen by accident that the "change" in East Germany started in Leipzig. If there was a place for initiation of this "peaceful revolution" it had to be Leipzig with its liberal spirit.
Leipzig is not imagineable without its famous musicians, writers, scientists - and merchant princes who gave the money!
Probably the most outstanding person is Johann Sebastian Bach. He worked in Leipzig from 1723 to 1750. His contribution to music is not high enough to appreciate. Leipzig realised his importance and pays attention to his heritage.
Bach was not the only one famous person who lived and worked in Leipzig. I leave it to you to explore the city in their footsteps.
A while ago a project for improving public transportation in Leipzig and surroundings was started: The main railway... more travel advice
The tram stop in front of the main railway station is a nightmare to me. It is between two multi-lane roads and while... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Leipzig Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Leipzig - petit Paris (Goethe's words)"
- "Opera and cycling in Leipzig"
- "For those about to Rock!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Leipzig
- Hotels in Leipzig
- Transportation in Leipzig
- Nightlife in Leipzig
- Restaurants in Leipzig
- Shopping in Leipzig
- Warnings and Dangers in Leipzig
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Leipzig
- 68 Reviews
- 190 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Leipzig?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leipzig
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: New Features Today!"
- Commented on one of Trekki's Leipzig tips
- Wrote a Review New commuter train lines/stations about Getting Around By Public Transport in Leipzig Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Railway"
- created a Leipzig Travelogue "City Museum (Old City Hall)"
Photos in LeipzigSee All Photos (190)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 196 reviews, 825 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 71 reviews, 418 photos, 16 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 363 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 56 reviews, 279 photos, 5 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 53 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz Intro, 56 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Schandau Intro, 48 reviews, 263 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Altenberg Intro, 52 reviews, 241 photos