Schloß Pillnitz Transportation Tips by german_eagle
Schloß Pillnitz Transportation: 4 reviews and 12 photos
My least favourite way of going to Pillnitz is driving. Honestly, the street between Dresden-Loschwitz and Pillnitz is narrow, speed limit is mostly 30 km/h, and parking in Pillnitz is costly. So why not taking public transportation or cycling?
There is a relatively large parking next to the bus stop Leonardo-da-Vinci-Straße, which is still a five minutes walk from the park entrance at Maille-Bahn (northwestern end). I cannot recall how much exactly parking is, but I guess somewhere around one or two Euro per hour. Day ticket probably available, so you might save a little with that one.
Calculate at least a half hour for the drive from the city centre, if not more. Traffic jams around Schillerplatz/Blue Wonder bridge during rush hour.
Type: Car/Motor Home
Cycler at the water palace
Getting to Pillnitz - and from one sight to the next along the river - is very conveniently done by bicycle. The Elbe cycling trail, one of the most popular in Germany, runs partially over the grounds of the Pillnitz gardens. As you can see on picture 1 the trail route takes you right between the river and water palace, making sightseeing very easy.
From Dresden's city centre you can take either the cycling trail on the right or left side of the river, but I recommend the one of the left (western) side - better views and better trail conditions. You must cross the river by ferry in Kleinzschachwitz (picture 2), though, which will cost you a single trip for the person and a reduced single trip fare for the bicycle.
Another option is to cross the river at the Blue Wonder bridge Blasewitz-Loschwitz and follow the right bank cycling trail from there to Pillnitz. This route follows the busy street for a not too long leg, though, as there's not much room between the river and the foot of the hills.
You should calculate an hour for the bike trip from the centre to Pillnitz, considering it is often very busy on the trail and also planning time for photo stops along the way.
Car ferry, also for pedestrians
Another option is to get to Pillnitz: Take tram #2 from the old town (Altmarkt e.g.) to final stop Kleinzschachwitz, then walk down the street to the river. From there you already see the Palace on the opposite side of the Elbe river. Take the ferry - mostly the big car ferry, if they have too much traffic there's also the smaller passenger only ferry - to cross the river.
Both tram and ferry are included in the public transportation network. Buy a single trip ticket (2 Euro in 2012) which is valid one hour and covers the ride on the tram and the ferry. For cars, motor bikes or bicycles you need to buy an additional ticket, of course.
Steamer in Pillnitz
I think one of the best options to get to Pillnitz is by steamboat. The trip starts in the old town of Dresden (Terrassenufer) right in front of Brühl's Terrace with a stop near the Blue Wonder bridge (Dresden-Blasewitz) and takes about 90 minutes. Along the way you pass vineyards, castles, mansions, villas at the hillsides, the Blue Wonder bridge, see the TV tower on the hilltops of Dresden-Wachwitz. Just before reaching the station in Pillnitz you pass Pillnitz Palace with the best views of the water palace.
The old paddle steamers are interesting, too - old technology, well maintained and still working perfectly. I prefer a seat on the upper deck. From there you have the best views of the scenery. In case you're thirsty or starving, they also serve pretty decent food, soft drinks, wine and beer as well as coffee and cake.
The fare is about 11.70 Euro one way (in 2012).
More Reviews (25)
german_eagle's Related Pages
Schloß Pillnitz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pillnitz - not only the Palace and Gardens!"
- "Pillnitz: Palaces, Gardens, Vineyards and the Elbe"
- "A Wombat In Pillnitz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schloß Pillnitz
- Hotels in Schloß Pillnitz
- Transportation in Schloß Pillnitz
- Restaurants in Schloß Pillnitz
- Shopping in Schloß Pillnitz
- See All...
Explore the World
- Den Bosch
- Pedas Hotels
- Limassol Hotels
- Fontainebleau Hotels
- Shirdi Hotels
- Colonia del Sacramento Transportation
- To/From Airport
- Port Arthur Transportation
- Tarragona Transportation
- Malaysia Transportation
- Lisse Transportation
- Ras Al Khaimah Transportation
- Ghana Transportation
- Schaffhausen Transportation
- Rottnest Island Transportation
- Airlie Beach Transportation
- India Transportation
Badges & Stats in Schloß Pillnitz
- 29 Reviews
- 147 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Schloß Pillnitz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schloß Pillnitz
- Posted in Travel Switzerland Forum "Re: Funnicular ride in St Moritz"
- Wrote a Review Driving in Schloß Pillnitz Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Driving"
- updated a Schloß Pillnitz Travel Page "Pillnitz - not only the Palace and Gardens!"
- Commented on one of Kathrin_E's Schloß Pillnitz travel pages
Photos in Schloß PillnitzSee All Photos (147)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 161 reviews, 688 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 56 reviews, 273 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 247 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 10 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 48 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leipzig Intro, 64 reviews, 169 photos, 3 travelogues