"Pirna - Gateway to Saxon Switzerland" Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna by german_eagle
Pirna Travel Guide: 107 reviews and 426 photos
Pirna is located about 20 km southeast of Dresden to both sides of the Elbe river. Population is about 40,000.
The town is situated right on major routes from (Berlin-) Dresden to Prague: Elbe river, railway and motorway A17.
Southeast of Pirna you find the wonderful recreation area (National Park) of "Saxon Switzerland".
The town was first mentioned in 1233, and it was part of the Kingdom Bohemia from 1294 to 1405, when it came to Saxony. In 1639 it was badly damaged by Swedish troops.
However, the old town with plenty Renaissance and Baroque houses is well preserved. Some of the buildings are still waiting for renovation, though.
In August 2002 Pirna was hit hard by a "millenium" flood. The old town was completely flooded, people had to be evacuated etc. You can still see some of the damages, but most of it has been restored and is even more beautiful than before.
The name is a pointer for what to expect: "Genusswerk" means something like "culinary pleasure manufacture" - or so.... more travel advice
As mentioned in the (Former) Fortress Sonnenstein tip above, the Baroque bastions/fortifications are still there, and... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Pirna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pirna - Gateway to Saxon Switzerland"
- "Pirna - a jewel south of Dresden"
- "Evening visit and rock formation (Bastei)"
- "Welcome to PIRNA"
- "My trip to Pirna"
- "Pirna.... before"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pirna
- Hotels in Pirna
- Transportation in Pirna
- Restaurants in Pirna
- Shopping in Pirna
- Warnings and Dangers in Pirna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pirna
- 51 Reviews
- 256 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Pirna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pirna
Photos in PirnaSee All Photos (256)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 194 reviews, 814 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 71 reviews, 418 photos, 16 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 363 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 53 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz Intro, 56 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 51 reviews, 256 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Altenberg Intro, 52 reviews, 241 photos
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues