"Pirna - Gateway to Saxon Switzerland" Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna by german_eagle
Pirna Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 418 photos
Pirna is located about 20 km southeast of Dresden to both sides of the Elbe river. Population is about 40,000.
The town is situated right on major routes from (Berlin-) Dresden to Prague: Elbe river, railway and motorway A17.
Southeast of Pirna you find the wonderful recreation area (National Park) of "Saxon Switzerland".
The town was first mentioned in 1233, and it was part of the Kingdom Bohemia from 1294 to 1405, when it came to Saxony. In 1639 it was badly damaged by Swedish troops.
However, the old town with plenty Renaissance and Baroque houses is well preserved. Some of the buildings are still waiting for renovation, though.
In August 2002 Pirna was hit hard by a "millenium" flood. The old town was completely flooded, people had to be evacuated etc. You can still see some of the damages, but most of it has been restored and is even more beautiful than before.
My new favourite place in Pirna are the gardens that stretch over the hillside between the town and Sonnenstein. They... more travel advice
The landmark of Pirna, St. Mary church aside, is the former fortress Sonnenstein, located on a hill above the town and... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Pirna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pirna - Gateway to Saxon Switzerland"
- "Pirna - a jewel south of Dresden"
- "Evening visit and rock formation (Bastei)"
- "Welcome to PIRNA"
- "My trip to Pirna"
- "Pirna.... before"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pirna
- Hotels in Pirna
- Transportation in Pirna
- Restaurants in Pirna
- Shopping in Pirna
- Warnings and Dangers in Pirna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pirna
- 50 Reviews
- 248 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Pirna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pirna
Photos in PirnaSee All Photos (248)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 192 reviews, 798 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 345 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 52 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 248 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Kamenz Intro, 36 reviews, 214 photos, 7 travelogues
- Schloß Pillnitz Intro, 42 reviews, 205 photos, 4 travelogues