"Radebeul - la dolce vita outside Dresden" Radebeul by german_eagle
Radebeul Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 130 photos
Radebeul is a town with a population of about 45,000. It is located at the foot and on top of the Lössnitz hills by the Elbe river, in the southeast bordering to Dresden.
What we now call "Radebeul" has once been 10 separated villages. 1935 the villages decided to unite.
You still can recognise the old centres of the villages - especially Kötzschenbroda, Naundorf, Zitzschewig, Serkowitz and Wahnsdorf preserved their old and charming houses and main squares.
Dresden and its surrounding areas experienced a huge economical boom after 1870. Luckily Radebeul became a favourite residential area for the nouveaux riches, mostly entrepreneurs from Dresden. They built a lot of beautiful houses (villas) in historistic styles (Neo-Renaissance and Neo-Baroque as well as "Swiss" style in particular). Administrative restrictions prevented that the area was spoilt with large blocks.
Nowadays folks use to come here to enjoy their spare time. It's fun to do shopping in the small shops (local craftwork e.g.), have a coffee or glass of wine here or there ... almost like on vacation :-)
The main square of Kötzschenbroda with its many old houses has been beautifully restored and is one of the main attractions (see tips), but it tends to be crowded on mild summer evenings.
Undoubtedly essential for "la dolce vita" is the viticulture in the area, which has a long tradition. Walking through the vineyards is simply great - don't forget the wine tastings!
Unfortunately I lost almost all off my photos when my computer crashed in Nov 2004, so please be patient ... I'll come up with more tips and pictures later in 2005 (waiting for summer!)
Of course you can also drive to Radebeul. From motorway A4 exits Dresden-Neustadt or Dresden-Wilder Mann it is just a... more travel advice
Most convenient mode to get to Radebeul, commuter train S1 aside, is the tram #4 that runs from Dresden's eastern... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Radebeul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Radebeul - la dolce vita outside Dresden"
- "Radebeul - Vineyards And Palaces"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Radebeul
- 18 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Radebeul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Radebeul
Photos in RadebeulSee All Photos (84)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 196 reviews, 824 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 71 reviews, 418 photos, 16 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 363 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 53 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz Intro, 56 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 51 reviews, 256 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Altenberg Intro, 52 reviews, 241 photos
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues