"Reichenau Island" Reichenau by german_eagle
Reichenau Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 42 photos
Reichenau is the largest of the islands in Lake Konstanz/Bodensee. It is connected with the mainland by a dam that was built in the middle of the 19th century. 3,500 people live right on the island, another 1,500 in the villages on the mainland that belong to the community.
The island is famous for its three medieval churches that are listed as UNESCO world heritage. In the medieval era the monks created the most amazing books and other pieces of art in the Benedictine Abbey.
Nowadays the dominating business on the island is agriculture, especially growing vegetables due to the mild climate. Tourism also is a big business - but don't expect masses of tourists, it's mostly individual tourism, often people come on bikes.
Viticulture has a long tradition but was pushed back by growing vegetables. So only 18 ha (about 45 acres) of vineyard area are left.
I enjoyed my bike trip to the island a lot - despite the ugly weather. I had to flee the island by hopping on a boat back to Konstanz as it started pouring hard after I had visited the second of the three churches. Yuck. Better luck to you!
South of the minster church are the former abbey buildings, forming a nice courtyard which is used for concerts and... more travel advice
The Minster church, now parish church of Reichenau, is probably the highlight of the sights on the island. I approached... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Reichenau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Reichenau Island"
- "Delight in the charm of monastic Reichenau"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Reichenau
- Transportation in Reichenau
- Warnings and Dangers in Reichenau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Reichenau
- 8 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Reichenau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Reichenau
Photos in ReichenauSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 190 reviews, 831 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 59 reviews, 292 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 247 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Schloß Pillnitz Intro, 42 reviews, 213 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kamenz Intro, 36 reviews, 214 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 10 travelogues