"Cheb / Eger" Cheb by german_eagle
Cheb Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 141 photos
Cheb (German: Eger) is located close to the German border and althought it's been a part of Bohemia/Czechia since 1315 the overwhelming majority of the people living here until 1945 were of German nationality or Jews. The sad history of the 20th century is well known: The Nazis killed most of the Jews and after 1945 the Czech government expelled the Germans. Which left a sort of Ghost town; Czechs from other parts of the country only very slowly moved to the town. Nowadays the population is about 30,000 (compared to 40,000 in 1945) and many of them are gypsies - Cheb is one of the towns where the related problems in everyday life are most obvious in the Czech Republic.
The old town is picturesque but by far not as much is restored as in Prague or other hot spots of Czech tourism. To me the town had a sort of gloomy appearance. Shops are often cheap "Asian markets", restaurants didn't look (or smell) appealing. Outside the old town it's mostly dull apartment blocks from the communist era in decay.
It's quite a tough job for a tourist to overlook the current problematic conditions in the town and explore the sights - which the town definitely has. I thought a day trip was enough.
Something totally unexpected happened when I took a photo of the St. Bartholomew church (see pic). The young guys -... more travel advice
St. Vitus, the church of the former Dominican monastery, is located a few steps west from the main parish church St.... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Cheb Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE ATTRACTIVE BUILDING'S OF CHEB"
- "Cheb / Eger"
- "Historical Cheb"
- "Cheb...the fleamarket city!"
- "Spending a 1/2 day in Cheb"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cheb
- Hotels in Cheb
- Restaurants in Cheb
- Shopping in Cheb
- Warnings and Dangers in Cheb
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cheb
- 8 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Cheb?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cheb
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 190 reviews, 831 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 59 reviews, 292 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 247 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Schloß Pillnitz Intro, 42 reviews, 213 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kamenz Intro, 36 reviews, 214 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 10 travelogues