"Decin" Decin by german_eagle
Decin Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 133 photos
Decin's location alone makes it worth to visit: It is right where the canyons of the Elbe river (north: Saxon-Bohemian Switzerland, south: Ceske Stredohori) meet, where the scenic, narrow valley widens up somewhat. The city occupies ground on both sides of the river, on the right bank the original Decin, on the left bank Podmokly, both united in the 19th century.
The history of Decin is more German(ic) than Czech and it's visible all over the city - the castle belonged to the powerful Austrian Thun family and until 1945 95% of the population were Germans (but citizens of the Czech Republic, of course, since 1918).
While the city - with a pop. of about 50,000 and some industry to provide jobs - is certainly not picture-book perfect as other towns in the Czech Republic (like Cesky Krumlov e.g.) it has a lot of sights to offer, not to mention the very beautiful surroundings that call for recreation, hiking, walking, all sorts of activities in the nature.
Only a short train ride from Decin main train station (hourly trains, they take about 15 minutes) is the small town... more travel advice
Decin has many buildings in Art Nouveau and Art Deco style. Especially Podmokly (Bodenbach), the district on the left... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Decin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Axel-M's new Decin Page"
- "trainmuseum in Zubrnice"
- "My new hometown"
- "My Decin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Decin
- Transportation in Decin
- Restaurants in Decin
- Warnings and Dangers in Decin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Decin
- 21 Reviews
- 118 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Decin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Decin
Photos in DecinSee All Photos (118)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 190 reviews, 831 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 59 reviews, 292 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 247 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Schloß Pillnitz Intro, 42 reviews, 213 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kamenz Intro, 36 reviews, 214 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 10 travelogues