"Frantiskovy Lazne - a typical spa town" Frantiskovy Lazne by german_eagle
Frantiskovy Lazne Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 148 photos
Located in the famous West Bohemian "spa town triangle" Frantiskovy Lazne is the smallest and least upscale of the three spa towns, both Karlovy Vary and Marianske Lazne are much larger and considerably more glitzy (and definitely more expensive). As Frantiskovy Lazne is the closest to the Saxon border I decided to visit this one from Bad Elster, where I stayed for a few days in spring 2009.
Elevation is 442 m (roughly 1,500 ft.), the town is set in a flat basin surrounded by mid-range mountains which makes for a friendly, wide open scenery (unlike in the other two spa towns which are located in valleys in more mountaineous areas). Population is about 5,000 thus Frantiskovy Lazne has a quiet small-town ambience.
While the springs were known from the 12th century on, Frantiskovy Lazne was founded by Hapsburg Emperor Franz II only in 1793. Until then the mineral water was known as "Eger water" with "Eger being the German name for the Czech town Cheb nowadays, located only 5 km southeast.
The buildings in the spa town district are well restored, the parks and gardens there are beautiful and well maintained. Not so in the surrounding districts of town - it is quite run down, dirty and locals seem to be quite poor. The difference is amazing.
The 24 cold mineral springs (temps between 10 and 12.5 C) are used for medical baths and for drinking. From the 18th century on the water was bottled and shipped all over the Hapsburg Empire. There is still a mineral water plant in Frantiskovy Lazne that employs a number of locals and ships their bottles all over Europe.
The orthodox St.-Olga-church was consecrated in 1888, thus it is one of the oldest orthodox churches in the Czech... more travel advice
Just west of the immediate spa district and the Casino (cross the transit road, Machova street) is right next to another... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Frantiskovy Lazne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Frantiskovy Lazne - a typical spa town"
- "FRANTISKOVY LAZNE"
- "Frantiskovy Lazne...a very nice spa town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Frantiskovy Lazne
- 11 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Frantiskovy Lazne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Frantiskovy Lazne
Photos in Frantiskovy LazneSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 190 reviews, 831 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 59 reviews, 292 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 247 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Schloß Pillnitz Intro, 42 reviews, 213 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kamenz Intro, 36 reviews, 214 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 10 travelogues