"Liberec/Reichenberg" Top 5 Page for this destination Liberec by german_eagle

Liberec Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 154 photos

I took the chance that Good Friday is no holiday in the Czech Republic (unlike in Germany) and did a day trip to Liberec from Dresden. Since Feb 2005 it is an easy (but quite long) train ride at a really cheap fare (see my transportation tips).

I have been to Liberec a dozen times before the wall came down, mostly on transit to the Krkonose (Riesengebirge) mountains for hiking/skiing. I never thought it's a beautiful city and was curious to see what had changed since then. Recently I saw that my friend Michael (globetrott) provides an excellent page on Liberec here. His Restaurant tip about the Viennese style coffeehouse was finally the reason to go.

Honestly, I still don't think it is a destination worth a trip alone, but it is an interesting relatively small city, an eye-opener if you've been to stunning, touristy, crowded Prague and are curious what "normal" places in the Czech Republic are like. Looking back I regret I did concentrate on taking photos of beautiful spots, facades, interior only.

Finally, before you continue browsing (and hopefully rating :-)) my tips I'd like to provide some facts about Liberec.

It's located about 100 km northeast of Prague at the foot of the Jizerske Hory (mountains) and Mt. Jested (1012 m) at an elevation of 350 - 400 m. It is a small city with a population of approx. 100,000 and the centre of the Northern Bohemia region.

Until the end of WWII Liberec/Reichenberg was the biggest city of the so called "Sudetenland", a region where the German minority in the Czech Republic lived. After WWII the Germans had to leave their homes and were expelled. As always in such cases, this also meant a loss of wealth and know-how for the former centre of textile and glass industry in Bohemia. It is obvious that Liberec has a long way to go to reach the same wealth as in the late 19th century.

• Intro Written Mar 27, 2005

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Muss mich doch langsam mal einlesen...

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Excellent page Ingo! Especially valuable are the transportation tips.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2005 at 9:03 AM

Great job as your usual! Haha, still old ski-lifts? Well, I am sure, they will change it soon...

• Mar 31, 2005 at 9:55 PM

I should read Michael's tip about coffehouse :-)) In any way you tip about is great too. Maybe to go to Liberec? :-)) Nice pics of the city!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2005 at 12:31 PM

Past Hapsburg glory, coffee houses, Bohemian glassware, skiing and sex shops all making Liberec the place to be! ;-\

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2005 at 8:47 AM

Fabulous and funny updates here. I shall visit Liberec in 2009 for the nordic ski-championships. Keep up the good work ... :o)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2005 at 5:59 AM

Those architects Fellner & Helmer must have been really prolific, they seem to have built theaters and opera houses just about everywhere, even in Liberec. I've never been there, but I might have a business trip to Zittau later this year, so who knows.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2005 at 5:52 AM

a good start with 18 excellent tips and pics ! I will be back, but cannot agree with Holger, as I think that travelling to Liberec is absolutely worth it, even if you go there just to have Palazinki in that beautiful Viennese Cafe....

Badges & Stats in Liberec

Have you been to Liberec?

Latest Activity in Liberec