"Liberec/Reichenberg" Top 5 Page for this destination Liberec by german_eagle
Liberec Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 359 photos
I have been to Liberec a dozen times during the communist era, mostly on transit to the Krkonose (Riesengebirge) mountains for hiking/skiing. I never thought it was a beautiful city - grey, buildings in decay, road conditions terrible, chaotic structure - and only stopped for an hour or two. With time passing, I was curious to see what had changed since the fall of the wall. In 2005 I returned for a day, explored the centre of the city and went to Mt. Jested. Frankly, all in all the city didn't look too appealing yet, but restoration works had started.
UPDATE: I re-visited in April and in July 2016. A lot has changed for the better, thus this page is undergoing a major update with lots more tips and especially pictures in the next weeks. Intro pics 1 and 3 are new already. You may probably not fall in love with Liberec at first sight, but if you stay longer and dig deeper you will come to like the city very much.
Liberec is located about 100 km northeast of Prague at the foot of the Jizerske Hory (mountains) and Mt. Jested (1012 m) at an elevation of 350 - 400 m. The city has a population of approx. 100,000.
Until the end of WWII Liberec/Reichenberg was the largest city of the so called "Sudetenland", a region where the German minority in the Czech Republic lived. After WWII the Germans were expelled. As always in such cases, this also meant a loss of wealth and know-how for the former centre of textile and glass industry in Bohemia. It is obvious that Liberec still has a long way to go to reach the same wealth as in the late 19th century, but they are on a good path.
The official Tourist Information is in a municipal office building on the left side behind the town hall (the address is... more travel advice
This "castle" style mansion is in the foothills of Jizera mountains, on top of Kovárova Kamene mountain (557 m). It is a... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Liberec Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "New Year's Eve in Liberec"
- "Welcome to LIBEREC (REICHENBERG)"
- "LIBEREC - MORE THERE THAN WHAT I SAW!"
- "eddieman's new Liberec Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Liberec
- Hotels in Liberec
- Transportation in Liberec
- Nightlife in Liberec
- Restaurants in Liberec
- Shopping in Liberec
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Liberec
- 39 Reviews
- 227 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Liberec?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Liberec
Photos in LiberecSee All Photos (227)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 196 reviews, 825 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 71 reviews, 418 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 82 reviews, 365 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 363 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 58 reviews, 286 photos, 5 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 53 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz Intro, 56 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Schandau Intro, 48 reviews, 263 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Altenberg Intro, 52 reviews, 241 photos