"Rügen - Beaches and more" Top 5 Page for this destination Rügen by german_eagle
Rügen Travel Guide: 174 reviews and 419 photos
First some facts: Rügen is Germany's largest island, located in the far northeast of the country, in the Baltic Sea. It is considered to be one of the most beautiful islands of the Baltic Sea - especially well know for its loooong beaches with white sand, impressive chalk cliffs (see picture), and a - sometimes confusing - diversity of peninsulas, lakes, forests ... and towns, villages etc. inbetween.
I have spent plenty of summers as a child on Rügen (before the wall came down). My parents used to drag me to a tiny village called Neu-Mukran, right next to a large Military (no-go) area. I remember that we usually spent two weeks there every year in July/August. We stayed in cabins which were owned by the company where my parents worked - more like a camp, far less than hotel standard. However, the beach was nice and not far away - the weather sunny in the 1970s (LOL) and we enjoyed the time there.
I have not been to Rügen since 1988 - and I was curious for the changes. So I took the opportunity to meet my American friends there when they told me they planned to spend a couple of days in Binz or a nearby town.
A lot has changed! First of all I noticed much more car traffic on the narrow roads. Also, almost all the typical old houses ("Bäderarchitektur") from the Belle Epoque are renovated. Prices obviously went up :-) However, the beautiful landscape and the beaches in particular are still the same ...
And now let's continue with the details in the tips!
The narrow-gauge steam train called Racing Roland is not only an attraction for tourists - it is a very important part... more travel advice
When on Ruegen, don't miss a side trip to Stralsund. Usually you will pass through Stralsund - by either car or train -... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Rügen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Most Northern of Germany - Isle of Rügen"
- "Baltic Sea Paradise"
- "Rügen - Beaches and more"
- "Beautiful Rügen"
- "Isle of Rügen"
- "Rügen & Usedom"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rügen
- Hotels in Rügen
- Transportation in Rügen
- Restaurants in Rügen
- Shopping in Rügen
- Warnings and Dangers in Rügen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rügen
- 15 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Rügen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rügen
Photos in RügenSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 192 reviews, 798 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 345 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz Intro, 56 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 52 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 248 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Kamenz Intro, 36 reviews, 214 photos, 7 travelogues