"Rügen - Beaches and more" Top 5 Page for this destination Rügen by german_eagle

Rügen Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 367 photos

First some facts: Rügen is Germany's largest island, located in the far northeast of the country, in the Baltic Sea. It is considered to be one of the most beautiful islands of the Baltic Sea - especially well know for its loooong beaches with white sand, impressive chalk cliffs (see picture), and a - sometimes confusing - diversity of peninsulas, lakes, forests ... and towns, villages etc. inbetween.

I have spent plenty of summers as a child on Rügen (before the wall came down). My parents used to drag me to a tiny village called Neu-Mukran, right next to a large Military (no-go) area. I remember that we usually spent two weeks there every year in July/August. We stayed in cabins which were owned by the company where my parents worked - more like a camp, far less than hotel standard. However, the beach was nice and not far away - the weather sunny in the 1970s (LOL) and we enjoyed the time there.

I have not been to Rügen since 1988 - and I was curious for the changes. So I took the opportunity to meet my American friends there when they told me they planned to spend a couple of days in Binz or a nearby town.

A lot has changed! First of all I noticed much more car traffic on the narrow roads. Also, almost all the typical old houses ("Bäderarchitektur") from the Belle Epoque are renovated. Prices obviously went up :-) However, the beautiful landscape and the beaches in particular are still the same ...

And now let's continue with the details in the tips!

• Intro Updated Jun 6, 2005

• Russell_the_Wombat's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Cool place! So much sand for digging!

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2007 at 6:16 AM

Reminds me of the Gotland cliffs with sea and sky colours! Do you know which town Roland goes right through the main street in? :)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2006 at 10:25 PM

cool place, another one to add to my list!

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2006 at 7:11 AM

hi ingo, fantastic tips about my favourite german island (only been there once, though...)

• Jan 8, 2006 at 9:24 AM

I am really looking forward to visiting here Ingo, very helpful accommodation tip and lovely photos! Thanks! Maria :)

• sprdak11's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2005 at 10:43 AM

Great travel page! I wish I will travel to Rugen this or next summer! Greetings!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2005 at 11:26 AM

Great seaside I would like to visit someday. A lot of interesting infos including on "Bäder" architecture. Amazing photographs.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2005 at 2:47 AM

Ingo, fantastic updates here..Brings back many memories of my trip, even though a tip about the colossus of Prora is still missing ... I hope you were fit enough to climb the stairs down and up in Sellin and you finally didn't use the elevator .. :o)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2005 at 2:33 AM

a lot of great updates, Ingo ! der Rasende Roland , das waere jetzt nach meinem Geschmack !!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2005 at 10:16 AM

so, i guess, no one will be mistaking rugen for panama is what i hear you saying .... at least in May;-\

Badges & Stats in Rügen