"New England's Alter Ego" Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire by german_eagle
New Hampshire Travel Guide: 1,525 reviews and 4,508 photos
New Hampshire is not as manicured as Vermont, not as distinguished as Massachusetts, not as well-off as Connecticut or Rhode Island - this state is New England's alter ego as far as I see it. The motto of the state is right after my heart - "Live free or die".
There is a distinct difference between the North and the South of New Hampshire: The North is mountaineous, actually with the highest peaks in the Northeast of the U.S., and the South is more rolling hills with hundreds of beautiful lakes. This page is about the Northern part of New Hampshire since I travelled from central Vermont to the White Mountains and on to Maine. The main goal of the stay was to unwind, enjoy the foliage, do some hiking. And it was perfect.
The North of New Hampshire is quite little populated. The landscape is dominated by mountains that peak at Mt. Washington (6288 ft.) which is the highest summit in the Northeast of the U.S. Vast forests make for excellent foliage if you visit at the right time of year (we did). Very characteristic for the White Mountains are the relatively dramatic notches (ok, no comparison to the West or the Alps).
New Hampshire is picture-book New England with covered bridges, the characteristic white churches, clapboard houses, picturesque villages and small towns. Opportunities for outdoor activities are endless, well maintained roads lead you to scenic views.
Ski resorts are IMO not overdevelopped as in other American regions, commerce is strong but seems to be accaptable.
We were told there are (black) bears in the White Mountains. To our disappointment we didn't see one. Not that I'd want... more travel advice
It wasn't the day for ice cream - cloudy, a bit too cold - but we decided we had to try Ben & Jerry's at least once.... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
New Hampshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "NEW HAMPSHIRE ~~ a few highlights"
- "My Favorite State in the Eastern United States"
- "New England's Alter Ego"
- "Getting the whole point of New Hampshire"
- "diver-x's New Hampshire Page"
- "Spectacular New Hampshire"
- "This is my Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Hampshire
- Hotels in New Hampshire
- Transportation in New Hampshire
- Nightlife in New Hampshire
- Restaurants in New Hampshire
- Shopping in New Hampshire
- Warnings and Dangers in New Hampshire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Hampshire
- 29 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to New Hampshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Hampshire
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 196 reviews, 824 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 71 reviews, 418 photos, 16 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 363 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 53 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz Intro, 56 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 54 reviews, 269 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Schandau Intro, 48 reviews, 263 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Altenberg Intro, 52 reviews, 241 photos