"The definition of non-touristy" Steinigtwolmsdorf by german_eagle

Steinigtwolmsdorf Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 33 photos

There is not really something exciting to see or do in Steinigtwolmsdorf. Hardly any tourists ever stay there. It is a village, not overly picturesque but ok, set in the rolling hills of the Upper Lausitz, actually at the western end of it.

It makes a good base for visiting the other sights in the region (see my Bautzen and Zittau pages), though, and if you're into modest hiking or cycling you can keep yourself busy here for a couple of days.

In case you're wondering about the name - "Steinigt" means that the grounds in and around the village are dotted with boulders, rocks, stones - by nature and all made of granite. This is a huge disadvantage for the farmers, the soil is not very much in favour of growing anything. Thus the original business here was foresting, not farming.

• Intro Updated Jan 29, 2011

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2012 at 4:58 AM

Hi Ingo, I’m impressed that there are so many beautiful and well-maintained traditional houses in this area. I had never heard of the NAW, but I’m surprised that one of their cobbled roads from 1956 is still there and evidently in good condition. I agree that humorous texts from the local dialects are often impossible to translate.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2011 at 3:39 PM

thats a lovely off-the-beaten track-place, thanks for sharing, Ingo !

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Nice village. While hanging around in Germany I always enjoyed the little villages. Funny name, I understand the stone and the village here, but what is it in the middle?

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Interesting page on a place with a funny name! Shame that there is no close up of a part of the verse so that we may look at the funny dialect ;)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2011 at 4:50 AM

Ingo, fabulous page about a place I haven't even heard of before. For some reason I like the name of Steinigtwolmsdorf. Nemorino will be pleased to see that you seem to be an outstanding cyclist.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2011 at 9:02 AM

The scenery around the pond looks quite romantic! And the church reminds me of the town hall in Zittau. I miss the translation of the verse on the wall;-)

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2011 at 3:31 AM

interesting houses style. I hope you to add some photos of gardens in blooming later :-)

Badges & Stats in Steinigtwolmsdorf

Have you been to Steinigtwolmsdorf?