"Altenberg / Erzgebirge" Altenberg by german_eagle
Altenberg Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 256 photos
The small town Altenberg is the "hub" for the Upper parts of the Eastern Erzgebige, located at an elevation of 754 m and conveniently accessible by train or bus from Dresden (slightly more than an hour).
Altenberg itself is an old mining town, first mentioned in the 14th century. Due to devastations in several wars there is nothing special about the architecture in town, but the surrounding landscape is very beautiful - a paradise for all sorts of winter sports and hiking/biking etc. in summer.
Nearby you find the famous bob- and sledding run where world cups and other championships take place. Definitely fun to visit - you can even do a ride yourself.
While Altenberg itself doesn't offer architectural gems the surrounding does! There are castles (Lauenstein, Frauenstein, Weesenstein), picturesque small towns like Lauenstein, Geising, Bärenstein and cute villages not far from Altenberg.
Not to forget are the relicts of mining (Erzgebirge means Ore mountains!). A special sight is the "Pinge", a huge hole, a result of extensive mining. When a number of pits crashed in 1620 the hole had a size (surface) of only 1.25 ha, now it is 22 ha!
Of course there are beautiful natural sights in the near surroundings as well: Mt. Geising e.g. with excellent views and rare wildflowers (protected area), the botanical garden in nearby Schellerhau. Well enough to keep you busy for a week of vacation!
This page provides information about the Eastern Erzgebirge, the region south of Dresden, with Altenberg as the central town. I use to visit this area frequently in winter for cross-country skiing. Sometimes I also stay overnight with friends, so you'll also find some accomodation/restaurant tips here.
If you're interested in the region you might have a look at these pages on nearby towns here on VT also:
One of the last remaining highmoors in the Eastern Erzgebirge mountains is the one named after the village Georgenfeld.... more travel advice
The highest mountain on the German side of the Eastern Erzgebirge is Kahleberg with an elevation of 905 m (on the Czech... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Altenberg Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Altenberg
- Hotels in Altenberg
- Transportation in Altenberg
- Restaurants in Altenberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Altenberg
- 51 Reviews
- 236 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Altenberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Altenberg
Photos in AltenbergSee All Photos (236)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 193 reviews, 811 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 71 reviews, 418 photos, 16 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 346 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz Intro, 56 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 52 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 51 reviews, 256 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Altenberg Intro, 51 reviews, 236 photos
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues