"Altenberg / Erzgebirge" Altenberg by german_eagle
Altenberg Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 222 photos
The small town Altenberg is the "hub" for the Upper parts of the Eastern Erzgebige, located at an elevation of 754 m and conveniently accessible by train or bus from Dresden (slightly more than an hour).
Altenberg itself is an old mining town, first mentioned in the 14th century. Due to devastations in several wars there is nothing special about the architecture in town, but the surrounding landscape is very beautiful - a paradise for all sorts of winter sports and hiking/biking etc. in summer.
Nearby you find the famous bob- and sledding run where world cups and other championships take place. Definitely fun to visit - you can even do a ride yourself.
While Altenberg itself doesn't offer architectural gems the surrounding does! There are castles (Lauenstein, Frauenstein, Weesenstein), picturesque small towns like Lauenstein, Geising, Bärenstein and cute villages not far from Altenberg.
Not to forget are the relicts of mining (Erzgebirge means Ore mountains!). A special sight is the "Pinge", a huge hole, a result of extensive mining. When a number of pits crashed in 1620 the hole had a size (surface) of only 1.25 ha, now it is 22 ha!
Of course there are beautiful natural sights in the near surroundings as well: Mt. Geising e.g. with excellent views and rare wildflowers (protected area), the botanical garden in nearby Schellerhau. Well enough to keep you busy for a week of vacation!
This page provides information about the Eastern Erzgebirge, the region south of Dresden, with Altenberg as the central town. I use to visit this area frequently in winter for cross-country skiing. Sometimes I also stay overnight with friends, so you'll also find some accomodation/restaurant tips here.
Another cross-country skiing tour in the western part of this region takes you from idyllic village Rehefeld along the... more travel advice
If you've read the previous tip "Winter hiking: Schmiedeberg - Oberbärenburg", then you probably think I'm completely... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Altenberg Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Altenberg
- Hotels in Altenberg
- Transportation in Altenberg
- Restaurants in Altenberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Altenberg
- 44 Reviews
- 202 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Altenberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Altenberg
- Posted in Travel Switzerland Forum "Re: stay at brig or zermatt"
- Commented on one of german_eagle's Altenberg tips
- Wrote a Review Sports: Cross-country skiing Rehefeld-Hermsdorf in Altenberg Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sports: Cross-country skiing Rehefeld-Hermsdorf"
- updated a Altenberg Travel Page "Altenberg / Erzgebirge"
Photos in AltenbergSee All Photos (202)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 192 reviews, 798 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 345 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz Intro, 56 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 52 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 248 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Kamenz Intro, 36 reviews, 214 photos, 7 travelogues