"Annaberg-Buchholz in the Ore Mountains" Annaberg-Buchholz by german_eagle
Annaberg-Buchholz Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 365 photos
Annaberg-Buchholz is the major town of the Upper Erzgebirge (Ore) mountains, culturally and economically. As the name indicates it consists of two parts, until 1945 separate towns. Annaberg is located on the eastern side of the Sehma river valley, Buchholz a bit to the south on the western side of the valley. Annaberg boomed after silver was discovered in the area and the town was founded in 1496, the population grew to 4,000 until 1501 and the town was one of the wealthiest in Germany in the 16th century. Nowadays A-B is inhabited by about 22,000 people.
There are so many interesting sights in Saxony, cities, small towns, landscapes, that Annaberg-Buchholz is often overlooked, especially since it is located a bit off the major roads in the mountains. But there is one time of year when it attracts crowds: Advent/Christmas time, no surprise since that's the same all over the Erzgebirge mountains.
During the rest of the year you almost have Annaberg-Buchholz for yourself, except for a few architecture enthusiasts who have heard of the gorgeous St. Annen church and stop for a few hours. Even better for you! Where else can you explore an authentic old town with many beautiful townhouses, churches, interesting museums, enjoy good food at low prices, take in beautiful landscape without being bothered by crowds?
Annaberg-Buchholz also makes a perfect base for a longer vacation: it is located in day trip distance to other major cities/sights like Freiberg, Dresden, Leipzig, Karlovy Vary, Prague etc., not to mention the immediate surrounding in the Erzgebirge mountains themselves.
Hiking and biking opportunities in summer are endless. In winter cross-country skiing is possible in the immediate surroundings, quite good downhill skiing is enjoyable in Oberwiesenthal, only a half hour away by car or a bit longer by public transportation.
On our walk up to Pöhlberg we visited the city park that has a game reserve, playground for kids and... more travel advice
I'll admit it: I am a fan of libraries. I am not only fascinated by the knowledge they keep for use (also called reading... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Annaberg-Buchholz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Annaberg-Buchholz in the Ore Mountains"
- "A Wombat in Annaberg (and Buchholz)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Annaberg-Buchholz
- Hotels in Annaberg-Buchholz
- Transportation in Annaberg-Buchholz
- Nightlife in Annaberg-Buchholz
- Restaurants in Annaberg-Buchholz
- Shopping in Annaberg-Buchholz
- Warnings and Dangers in Annaberg-Buchholz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Annaberg-Buchholz
- 29 Reviews
- 107 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Annaberg-Buchholz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Annaberg-Buchholz
- Posted in Travel Switzerland Forum "Re: Funnicular ride in St Moritz"
- Commented on one of Kathrin_E's Annaberg-Buchholz travel pages
- Wrote a Review City park with game reserve in Annaberg-Buchholz Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "City park with game reserve"
- created a Annaberg-Buchholz Travelogue "Frohnauer Hammer - owners' house"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 161 reviews, 688 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 56 reviews, 273 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 247 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 10 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 48 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leipzig Intro, 64 reviews, 169 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (42)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Annaberg-Buchholz hotel reviews
- Wilder Mann
- 1 Review & Opinion