"Bad Schandau and the National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Schandau by german_eagle
Bad Schandau Travel Guide: 110 reviews and 426 photos
Bad Schandau is a small town about 35 km southeast of Dresden. It is located on the right bank of the Elbe river.
Many tourists pick it as a base for their visit of the stunning mountain region called "Saxon Switzerland". A large part of this mountain region, beginning in the outskirts of Bad Schandau, is National Park.
Since there are more towns/villages with interesting sights in the region I cannot squeeze them all on this page - please see also my pages:
- Kurort Rathen
Some others are in planning ...
The town is a transportation hub for the region and provides a wide selection of accommodation - from simple camping ground and private rooms to 3- and 4star hotels.
As the name "BAD" Schandau indicates the town is a centre of recreation and medical rehabilitation with two sanatoriums and a public spa.
Founded in the 14th century Bad Schandau became an important place at the route between Dresden and Prague. Due to floods (the latest in 2002) and fires not much of old architecture is preserved. The town is dominated by 19th century buildings, the period of growing tourism. The small old town around the Market Square, however, is very charming with narrow cobbled streets, a number of half-timbered houses, restaurants, cafes and shops. Not to miss are the beautiful public garden and the promenade by the river. More in my tips :-)
The main attraction for the visitors, though, is the fantastic landscape, especially in the National Park East of Bad Schandau.
The mountains don't reach high elevations - the highest in the NP is the Grosser Winterberg with 552 m - but they are absolutely impressive with bizarre sandstone formations, rocky sandstone patches, deep and romantic valleys and vast forests. Picturesque villages with half-timbered houses, nice restaurants, B&Bs and hotels add to the charm of the region.
You will find plenty of Sports tips on this site - free climbing, walking, hiking, biking, fishing ...
This is one of my favourite restaurants for the views alone. It is in the village Lichtenhain, between Bad Schandau and... more travel advice
Zirkelstein is a tiny flat-top sandstone mountain on the left bank of the Elbe river, southeast of Bad Schandau, which... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Bad Schandau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bad Schandau and the National Park"
- "Bad Schandau and the Elbe Sandstone Mountains"
- "Bad Schandau - coming of age"
- "Bad Schandau"
- "Welcome to Bad Schandau"
- "A hiking trip to Mt. Lilienstein in Winter"
- "BAD SCHANDAU IN SAXON SWITZERLAND"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bad Schandau
- Hotels in Bad Schandau
- Transportation in Bad Schandau
- Restaurants in Bad Schandau
- Warnings and Dangers in Bad Schandau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bad Schandau
- 33 Reviews
- 143 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Bad Schandau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bad Schandau
- Posted in Travel Switzerland Forum "Re: Where to stay in Switzerland?"
- updated a Bad Schandau Travelogue "A hiking trip to Mt. Lilienstein in Winter"
- Commented on one of german_eagle's Bad Schandau tips
- Wrote a Review Berghof Lichtenhain in Bad Schandau Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Berghof Lichtenhain"
Photos in Bad SchandauSee All Photos (143)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 190 reviews, 831 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 59 reviews, 292 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 247 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Schloß Pillnitz Intro, 42 reviews, 213 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kamenz Intro, 36 reviews, 214 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 10 travelogues