"Bad Schandau and National Park Saxon Switzerland" Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Schandau by german_eagle
Bad Schandau Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 506 photos
Bad Schandau is a small town about 35 km southeast of Dresden. It is located on the right bank of the Elbe river.
Many tourists pick it as a base for their visit of the stunning mountain region called "Saxon Switzerland". A large part of this mountain region, beginning in the outskirts of Bad Schandau, is National Park.
There are more towns/villages with interesting sights in the region, but I cannot put all the information/tips on this page - please see also my other pages about towns in this region:
The town is a transportation hub for the region and provides a wide selection of accommodation - from simple camping ground and private rooms to 3- and 4star hotels.
As the name "BAD" Schandau indicates the town is a centre of recreation and medical rehabilitation with two sanatoriums and a public spa.
Founded in the 14th century Bad Schandau became an important place at the route between Dresden and Prague. Due to floods (the latest in 2002) and fires not much of old architecture is preserved. The town is dominated by 19th century buildings, the period of growing tourism. The small old town around the Market Square, however, is very charming with narrow cobbled streets, a number of half-timbered houses, restaurants, cafes and shops. Not to miss are the beautiful public garden and the promenade by the river. More in my tips :-)
The main attraction for the visitors, though, is the fantastic landscape, especially in the National Park East of Bad Schandau.
The mountains don't reach high elevations - the highest in the NP is the Grosser Winterberg with 552 m - but they are absolutely impressive with bizarre sandstone formations, rocky sandstone patches, deep and romantic valleys and vast forests. Picturesque villages with half-timbered houses, nice restaurants, B&Bs and hotels add to the charm of the region.
You will find plenty of Sports tips on this site - free climbing, walking, hiking, biking, fishing ...
Yes, there was a castle on a hill above Bad Schandau! Back in medieval times a castle, or let's say small fortified... more travel advice
On a plateau, about 130 m above the Elbe river and the town Bad Schandau, is the village Ostrau located. It actually... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Bad Schandau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bad Schandau and National Park Saxon Switzerland"
- "Bad Schandau and the Elbe Sandstone Mountains"
- "Bad Schandau - coming of age"
- "Bad Schandau"
- "Welcome to Bad Schandau"
- "BAD SCHANDAU IN SAXON SWITZERLAND"
- "BAD SCHANDAU TO PILLNITZ BY STEAMER"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bad Schandau
- Hotels in Bad Schandau
- Transportation in Bad Schandau
- Restaurants in Bad Schandau
- Warnings and Dangers in Bad Schandau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bad Schandau
- 40 Reviews
- 223 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Bad Schandau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bad Schandau
- Posted in Travel Karlovy Vary Forum "Re: Karlovy Vary or Pesky Kumlov..."
- updated a Bad Schandau Travel Page "Bad Schandau and National Park Saxon Switzerland"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bad Schandau and National Park Saxon Switzerland"
- Commented on one of german_eagle's Bad Schandau travel pages
- Wrote a Review Schlossberg (castle hill) in Bad Schandau Off The Beaten Path
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 195 reviews, 819 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 71 reviews, 418 photos, 16 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 363 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 53 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz Intro, 56 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 51 reviews, 256 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Altenberg Intro, 52 reviews, 241 photos
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues