"Bad Schandau and National Park Saxon Switzerland" Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Schandau by german_eagle

Bad Schandau Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 506 photos

Bad Schandau is a small town about 35 km southeast of Dresden. It is located on the right bank of the Elbe river.

Many tourists pick it as a base for their visit of the stunning mountain region called "Saxon Switzerland". A large part of this mountain region, beginning in the outskirts of Bad Schandau, is National Park.

There are more towns/villages with interesting sights in the region, but I cannot put all the information/tips on this page - please see also my other pages about towns in this region:
Königstein
Kurort Rathen
Hinterhermsdorf
Hohnstein
Hrensko
Pirna

The town is a transportation hub for the region and provides a wide selection of accommodation - from simple camping ground and private rooms to 3- and 4star hotels.

As the name "BAD" Schandau indicates the town is a centre of recreation and medical rehabilitation with two sanatoriums and a public spa.

Founded in the 14th century Bad Schandau became an important place at the route between Dresden and Prague. Due to floods (the latest in 2002) and fires not much of old architecture is preserved. The town is dominated by 19th century buildings, the period of growing tourism. The small old town around the Market Square, however, is very charming with narrow cobbled streets, a number of half-timbered houses, restaurants, cafes and shops. Not to miss are the beautiful public garden and the promenade by the river. More in my tips :-)

The main attraction for the visitors, though, is the fantastic landscape, especially in the National Park East of Bad Schandau.

The mountains don't reach high elevations - the highest in the NP is the Grosser Winterberg with 552 m - but they are absolutely impressive with bizarre sandstone formations, rocky sandstone patches, deep and romantic valleys and vast forests. Picturesque villages with half-timbered houses, nice restaurants, B&Bs and hotels add to the charm of the region.

You will find plenty of Sports tips on this site - free climbing, walking, hiking, biking, fishing ...

• Intro Updated Mar 4, 2016

Jan 30, 2016 at 3:46 AM

Great updates since my last visit of this page back in May 2013. I especially like the multitude of hiking descriptions here.

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:54 AM

Thanks again, Holger, for your visit here. I'll have to add even more hikes, and to more remote places.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2015 at 7:40 AM

Very very nice :-)) You see, I made my choices and ... as usual, not easy :-)) The list .. grows :-)
    Lucky you! I shall (must) move to Palatinate to be able to have hiking in front of my nose or doorstep...

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Thanks a lot for checking out this page. Good choices, I can say :-) I am sure the hiking options in Palatinate are excellent, too. Wouldn't want to live in a region without good hiking trails!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Sep 10, 2015 at 10:20 PM

Oh yes, they are... The reason why I will prefer to live closer to the hills than to Rhein

May 15, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Excellent updates about your latest hiking and biking adventures near Bad Schandau. I love the wintery photo of the yellow tram in your Kuhstall tip. Well done.

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:33 AM

Great updates since my last visit of your page in May 2013.

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Thanks a lot. Since this is basically my backyard, more updates will follow from time to time ...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Hello Ingo, I see you have added numerous updates and new tips since I last looked at this page. I’m impressed that they have free boxes for bicycles by the city hall. I once tried out just a bit of the Elbe cycling trail when I was in Dresden. Very nice!

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Ingo, fabulous updates with brilliant photos. It looks like you had a great day out while I was at work. :-)

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2011 at 10:41 AM

The Himmelsleiter and the Schneiderloch were fun! Great updates here :-)

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Nice updates! The one about Schrammsteine is indeed very important;-)

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2009 at 3:22 AM

This looks like such a fun time with fantastic scenery. Thank you for the wonderful tips and photos.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2007 at 2:11 AM

Great stuff, just what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing. I'm coming back next year.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2006 at 3:15 PM

Pretty and relazing landscapes and great hiking suggestions!

Badges & Stats in Bad Schandau

Have you been to Bad Schandau?