Bautzen Shopping Tips by german_eagle
Bautzen Shopping: 3 reviews and 5 photos
It took a while, but since October 2012 Bautzen has an excellent organic grocery. Vorwerk Podemus, at home in a rural suburb of Dresden, opened a grocery in the city centre of Bautzen. It's just outside the immediate old town, a five minutes walk from Reichenturm in eastern direction (Töpferstraße is the quiet northern parallel street to the major road B6). What I am also very glad about is that they restored a hundreds of years old farm house with barn (yep, in the town, which was smaller back then). Free parking available on their ground.
What to buy: They have all sorts of organic stuff. Just like any big grocery. Vorwerk Podemus is well-known for their own dairy and meat production. Definitely try the sausages (lamb and beef, in German Lamm-, Rindsknacker) and their Hausmacher Leberwurst. They make sure to have lots of regional products. For example, when I was there last time they had yummy apple juice from a traditional orchard near Dresden.
Another nice idea: Buy something from their bakery section, order a cup of coffee or tea, and have a seat at a table in the entrance area. That's what I did. Bought two rolls, some of their meat and cheese, some apple juice, they provided the glass for the juice, I even could wash my hands there before eating. A nice picnic was had by yours truly!
What to pay: Prices are slightly higher than in non-organic groceries, but still reasonable.
Address: Töpferstraße 38, 02625 Bautzen
Phone: 03591 / 27 27 663
Theme: Food and Drink
One product Bautzen is famous for is mustard. The local plant belongs to a big chain now and the recipe seems to be changed slightly (and not in favour IMO). However, it's still a typical souvenir that you might take home.
The mustard shop in the old town is open:
Mon - Sun 10 am - 7 pm - which makes it a great stop to warm up on a gorgeous but freeeezing cold winter day :-)
You can try several sorts of mustard (free).
What to buy: Don't buy the typical 'mittelscharfer Senf' which you can get in any grocery store in (East) Germany. Get a mustard with a special spice. Large selection.
You might also buy one of the other regional products like pickled stuff from the Spreewald or the fitting pottery pieces.
What to pay: Mustard and pickled stuff are inexpensive, a few bucks only. Pottery can be considerably more expensive.
Address: Fleischmarkt 5
Directions: next to the cathedral
Theme: Food and Drink
More Reviews (55)
- See All Food Market
- Lake / Beach
- See All Osterweg path
- See All Göda
german_eagle's Related Pages
Bautzen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bautzen / Budyšin"
- "Bautzen on a Gorgeous Winter's Day"
- "Transcending Expectations in Bautzen"
- "Bautzen - A Beautiful and Historic City"
- "A Wombat in Bautzen"
- "Budziszyn / Bautzen 17 September 2011"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bautzen
- Transportation in Bautzen
- Restaurants in Bautzen
- Shopping in Bautzen
- Warnings and Dangers in Bautzen
- See All...
Explore the World
- Mill Run (Fallingwater) Hotels
- Los Angeles Hotels
- Lake Taal Hotels
- Mumbai Hotels
- Cebu City
- Palma de Mallorca
- Marmaris Hotels
- Laoag City
Badges & Stats in Bautzen
- 57 Reviews
- 275 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Bautzen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bautzen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 189 reviews, 823 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 57 reviews, 275 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 247 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Kamenz Intro, 36 reviews, 214 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 10 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 48 reviews, 194 photos