"Zittau - the "Wealthy"" Zittau by german_eagle
Zittau Travel Guide: 74 reviews and 211 photos
Zittau, pop. 33'000, is located in the far east of Germany, right on the border to both Poland and Czech Republic. First mentioned in 1238 it quickly grew and became an important town in Bohemian Kingdom. Since 1635 Zittau is part of Saxony, and so German.
The sobriquet "the wealthy" came up in the centuries before Zittau was badly damaged by Austrians in the seven-years war on July 23 1757. However, the town recovered and developed as an industrial centre in the 19th century.
From 1945 on, when the German-Polish border was moved westward and the border to Czechoslovakia became quite tight, Zittau kept suffering from being cut off from the former markets and flow of commodity. The situation has slightly improved now, but unemployment in this remote corner of Germany is still high.
Zittau has a very nice old town with beautiful patrician houses, churches and buildings in mostly Baroque and Historistic styles.
Two highlights alone make Zittau worth a visit: The Big and the Small Lenten Cloths (Fastentücher) from 1472 and 1573. They are stunning examples of those Cloths which were used to cover the altar in catholic churches during Lent. In its style the Big Lenten Cloth is one of the few remaining in the world - the only one preserved in Germany. (See my Things To Do Tip)
This page used to include the surroundings of Zittau as well but I moved those tips to my Kurort Oybin page as there were too many.
Beside the stunning towns like Görlitz and Bautzen and the Cistercian convent St. Marienthal - on which I have built separate pages on VT - I highly recommend to pay a visit to the mid-range mountains a few km south of Zittau (Zittauer Gebirge) and the picturesque villages in the countryside around Zittau.
Zittau is one of the few towns where the old butcher's stalls are still preserved. Granted, they were transfered from... more travel advice
Walking from the train station to the old town you come across a fountain with a lion relief above on the left side of... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Zittau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Zittau - the "Wealthy""
- "Zittau deserves to be better known"
- "Welcome to Zittau"
- "Casting a Spell: Zittau"
- "Welcome to ZITTAU"
- "ZITTAU AND BERTSDORF"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zittau
- Hotels in Zittau
- Transportation in Zittau
- Restaurants in Zittau
- Warnings and Dangers in Zittau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zittau
- 36 Reviews
- 124 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Zittau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zittau
Photos in ZittauSee All Photos (124)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 160 reviews, 684 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 56 reviews, 273 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 247 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 10 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 48 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leipzig Intro, 64 reviews, 169 photos, 3 travelogues