"Zittau - the "Wealthy"" Zittau by german_eagle
Zittau Travel Guide: 84 reviews and 261 photos
Zittau, pop. 33'000, is located in the far east of Germany, right on the border to both Poland and Czech Republic. First mentioned in 1238 it quickly grew and became an important town in Bohemian Kingdom. Since 1635 Zittau is part of Saxony, and so German.
The sobriquet "the wealthy" came up in the centuries before Zittau was badly damaged by Austrians in the seven-years war on July 23 1757. However, the town recovered and developed as an industrial centre in the 19th century.
From 1945 on, when the German-Polish border was moved westward and the border to Czechoslovakia became quite tight, Zittau kept suffering from being cut off from the former markets and flow of commodity. The situation has slightly improved now, but unemployment in this remote corner of Germany is still high.
Zittau has a very nice old town with beautiful patrician houses, churches and buildings in mostly Baroque and Historistic styles.
Two highlights alone make Zittau worth a visit: The Big and the Small Lenten Cloths (Fastentücher) from 1472 and 1573. They are stunning examples of those Cloths which were used to cover the altar in catholic churches during Lent. In its style the Big Lenten Cloth is one of the few remaining in the world - the only one preserved in Germany. (See my Things To Do Tip)
The main intro picture above shows the western facade of St. Johannis church, the tall steeple of the former Franciscan monastery (now museum) behind "Altes Gymnasium" (one of the oldest school buildings preserved in Germany) and Dornspachhaus with an excellent restaurant.
This page used to include the surroundings of Zittau as well but I moved those tips to my Kurort Oybin and Großschönau pages as there were too many.
Beside the stunning towns like Görlitz and Bautzen and the Cistercian convent St. Marienthal - on which I have built separate pages on VT - I highly recommend to pay a visit to the mid-range mountains a few km south of Zittau (Zittauer Gebirge) and the picturesque villages in the countryside around Zittau.
In the village Hainewalde, about 5 km west of Zittau, is a Baroque chateau with garden which once was called "Sanssouci... more travel advice
There is a sufficient bus network in and around Zittau, run by KVG (a city company) and part of the ZVON public... more travel advice
german_eagle's Related Pages
Zittau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Zittau - the "Wealthy""
- "Zittau deserves to be better known"
- "Welcome to Zittau"
- "Casting a Spell: Zittau"
- "Welcome to ZITTAU"
- "ZITTAU AND BERTSDORF"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zittau
- Hotels in Zittau
- Transportation in Zittau
- Restaurants in Zittau
- Warnings and Dangers in Zittau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zittau
- 46 Reviews
- 191 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Zittau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zittau
Photos in ZittauSee All Photos (191)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 196 reviews, 825 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 71 reviews, 418 photos, 16 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 363 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 56 reviews, 279 photos, 5 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 53 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz Intro, 56 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Schandau Intro, 48 reviews, 263 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Altenberg Intro, 52 reviews, 241 photos