"Robert Schumann, cars and more" Zwickau by german_eagle
Zwickau Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 419 photos
Zwickau, pop. about 100 000, is a city located at the foot of the Erzgebirge mountains in the German state Saxony. It was founded in the early 12th century, became rich from trade and silver mines in the middle ages, then fell in some sort of slumber for a couple of centuries before coal mining, industrialization and automobile manufacturing brought another economic boom.
Nowadays Zwickau is known for being composer Robert Schumann's birthplace (museum) and car production - it started with Horch, then Audi, the infamous Trabant in the communist era and Volkswagen since the 1990s.
Zwickau is an important place for education and has several vocational schools and a university. Thus the nightlife and pub scene as well as the cultural life are surprisingly vibrant for a city of that size.
But there is more to see and do in Zwickau. Unfortunately not many medieval buildings are preserved - but some outstanding are, like the Dom, the Priesterhäuser and some other townhouses that go back to the Gothic era. However, Zwickau is heaven for lovers of 19th/early 20th century architecture. Especially the districts north and west of the immediate old town and toward the main railway station have a lot of Neo-Renaissance and Art Nouveau townhouses and public/administration buildings. Not to miss are also the nice gardens/parks and the green surroundings.
Zwickau has a long tradition of schools and higher eduction. A first Latin School is mentioned in 1290 in Zwickau. In... more travel advice
Every German city with some self respect has a tradition in beer brewing - Zwickau, too, since 1348. I came across two... more travel advice
- See All Bicycle
- See All Monuments in Zwickau
- See All Former hospital building (Krankenstift)
german_eagle's Related Pages
Zwickau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Robert Schumann, cars and more"
- "Zwickau: Home to Trabant and Robert Schumann"
- "Spending an afternoon at the police station..."
- "Zwickau in Sachsen"
- "A Wombat in Zwickau"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zwickau
- Hotels in Zwickau
- Transportation in Zwickau
- Nightlife in Zwickau
- Restaurants in Zwickau
- Warnings and Dangers in Zwickau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zwickau
- 44 Reviews
- 237 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Zwickau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zwickau
- Posted in Travel Switzerland Forum "Re: hiking in ticino "
- Commented on one of Kathrin_E's Zwickau travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Zwickau-Planitz: Schloss, churches, park, cemetery"
- created a Zwickau Travelogue "Zwickau-Planitz: Schloss, churches, park, cemetery"
- Wrote a Review Higher Education - Schools and College in Zwickau Local Customs
Photos in ZwickauSee All Photos (237)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 193 reviews, 811 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt Intro, 71 reviews, 418 photos, 16 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 70 reviews, 346 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Freiberg Intro, 53 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Moritz Intro, 56 reviews, 268 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 51 reviews, 256 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Altenberg Intro, 51 reviews, 236 photos
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues