"Welcome to "OLD" Europe" german_eagle's Profile
So far we had a very mild winter with only a few snowflakes, but in third week in January the situation changed - VERY cold now (- 17 C in the morning, max. -10 C at 2 pm on the day I'm writing this) and some cm of snow. The picture was taken in a tiny village a few km from my home, where a skilift is running now.
Christmas Season is over, but you might have a look back at this time of the year with a visit of some pages I created on towns that have lovely, romantic Christmas markets - Schwarzenberg and Schneeberg, and I also wrote tips on the Christmas markets in my Dresden page's Local Customs section. My most recent pages are about Kurort Oberwiesenthal - which has not much to do with Christmas, but with winter and skiing instead and Zuoz, a small town in Engadine/Switzerland, close to St. Moritz.
Another new page here is on the small town Wurzen, in near distance of Leipzig and thus almost always overlooked by tourists. Have a look and see what they (you) missed!
I also finished my first attempt of creating an interesting walk in one of Dresden's "off the beaten path" districts, the so called Friedrichstadt. It is modelled after VT member Nemorino's loops on his gorgeous Paris page. In case you're interested, here is where the walk through Friedrichstadt in Dresden starts.
Other pages you might be interested in are the Lago di Resia page and the Nauders page. They have tips from two visits: One in 2011, as a day trip from Scuol/Lower Engadine, the other in late March 1994, when I was skiing in Nauders for a week. Enjoy!
On 21 May I attended the Birthday Concert for Richard Wagner, one of my favourite composers, at the Semperoper Dresden. Christian Thielemann led the Staatskapelle Dresden, Jonas Kaufmann was soloist. It was an outstanding concert, fantastic performance by everyone. Jonas Kaufmann sang the original version of the Grail narration from LOHENGRIN, which was scratched by Wagner himself before the world premiere - what a loss! I loved this piece. Kaufmann was best at the Rome narration from TANNHÄUSER, though. Aside from technical perfection, he also expressed all the emotions involved. Check it out on
commercial DVD, which will be available later!
They had a big screen and stage on Theaterplatz square for anyone who had no tickets for the Richard Wagner birthday concert in the Semperoper, to watch it for free - live and with surprisingly witty comments from a local comedian. Here's the view from the opera house. The live broadcast attracted quite a crowd. However, the reason why I post this is that the light was magical shortly before sunset, see the colours of the historic sandstone buildings!
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 2,264 Reviews
- 8,847 Photos
- 9 Countries
- 93 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
- Posted in Travel Gruyères Forum "Re: Terrymkeeney@aol.com"
- updated a Freital Travel Page "Freital"
- Commented on german_eagle's profile page
- Uploaded a Photo to "Freital"
- Wrote a Review Hiking: Schlottwitz - Edelmannsteig in Glashütte Things to Do
- german_eagle and JimKnopf are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "Welcome to "OLD" Europe"
- Uploaded a Video to Schneeberg
VideosSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 190 reviews, 831 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 59 reviews, 292 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 247 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Schloß Pillnitz Intro, 42 reviews, 213 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kamenz Intro, 36 reviews, 214 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 10 travelogues