"Welcome to "OLD" Europe" german_eagle's Profile
After a seemingly endless winter that didn't deserve the name - almost no snow and much too mild - nature is about four weeks ahead of usual time. I checked my photos from previous years and cannot find any that show so many trees in bloom mid March. The city administration's gardeners never started planting spring flowers like violas *that* early.
No new pages at the moment. I'm working on a page on Freital, one of Dresden's neighbouring town, though. It's an industrial town mostly and rarely gets any visitors from outside the immediate region. And yet, there's a lot to see and do there. You'll see once the page is up.
On 21 May I attended the Birthday Concert for Richard Wagner, one of my favourite composers, at the Semperoper Dresden. Christian Thielemann led the Staatskapelle Dresden, Jonas Kaufmann was soloist. It was an outstanding concert, fantastic performance by everyone. Jonas Kaufmann sang the original version of the Grail narration from LOHENGRIN, which was scratched by Wagner himself before the world premiere - what a loss! I loved this piece. Kaufmann was best at the Rome narration from TANNHÄUSER, though. Aside from technical perfection, he also expressed all the emotions involved. Check it out on
commercial DVD, which will be available later!
They had a big screen and stage on Theaterplatz square for anyone who had no tickets for the Richard Wagner birthday concert in the Semperoper, to watch it for free - live and with surprisingly witty comments from a local comedian. Here's the view from the opera house. The live broadcast attracted quite a crowd. However, the reason why I post this is that the light was magical shortly before sunset, see the colours of the historic sandstone buildings!
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 2,295 Reviews
- 8,994 Photos
- 9 Countries
- 94 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
updated their Profile Page "Welcome to "OLD" Europe"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Welcome to "OLD" Europe"
- Commented on one of Kathrin_E's Wissembourg travel pages
- Wrote a Review Viticulture Trail in Freital Local Customs
- Posted in Travel Switzerland Forum "Re: Where to stay in Switzerland?"
- updated a Freital Travel Page "Freital"
- german_eagle and JimKnopf are now friends.
- Uploaded a Video to Schneeberg
VideosSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 190 reviews, 831 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bautzen Intro, 59 reviews, 292 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Görlitz Intro, 65 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna Intro, 50 reviews, 247 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zwickau Intro, 44 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 213 photos
- Schloß Pillnitz Intro, 42 reviews, 213 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kamenz Intro, 36 reviews, 214 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 10 travelogues