"Cruising through the North Cascades" North Cascades National Park by goingsolo
North Cascades National Park Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 154 photos
North Cascades National Park is located in the northern part of Washington State, about 110 miles from Seattle. North Cascades National Park Service Complex contains the heart of this mountainous region in three park units which are all managed as one and include North Cascades National Park, Ross Lake and Lake Chelan National Recreation Areas. In order to actually enter the park by motor vehicle, you'll have to take one of the gravel roads. There is no road service to Lake Chelan National Recreation Area. To access this portion of the park, you'll have to take a ferry or a floatplane.
Highway 20, the North Cascades Scenic Highway, passes through portions of the park and has stops at Ross and Diablo Lakes as well as many scenic turnouts.
Since I had only one day here and was driving a rental car, I didn't travel any of the gravel roads and didn't make it far past the highway. But I was able to take the journey on Hwy 20 and get some views of the mountains and an idea of what to do on a later trip.
- Pros:Very scenic,close to Canada and not accessible to the masses
- Cons:Not very accessible to the masses
- In a nutshell:Don't do this one in a day
Most of the North Cascades is isolated wilderness. There are many opportunities to backpack to the middle of nowhere and... more travel advice
View of North Cascades from Diablo Dam overlook. more travel advice
goingsolo's Related Pages
North Cascades National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ALPINIST'S WONDERLAND"
- "North Cascades National Park"
- "Basaic North Cascades National Park Page"
- "Cruising through the North Cascades"
- "North Cascades"
- "Breathtaking Mountains"
- "Pacific Northwest - Hiking Heaven!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in North Cascades National Park
- Hotels in North Cascades National Park
- Transportation in North Cascades National Park
- Restaurants in North Cascades National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in North Cascades National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
- Florida Keys Hotels
- Masafi Hotels
- Magnetic Island
- Crete Island
- South Padre Island
- Kill Devil Hills
- Tangmarg Hotels
- Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park Hotels
- Chico Hot Springs Hotels
- Netherlands Antilles
- Fauntleroy Hotels
Badges & Stats in North Cascades National Park
- 42 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to North Cascades National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in North Cascades National Park
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "Re: B&Bs in Anchorage"
- Wrote a Review Bears and wolves in North Cascades National Park Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bears and wolves"
- updated a North Cascades National Park Travel Page "Cruising through the North Cascades"
- Commented on one of mtncorg's North Cascades National Park travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue