"Can You Keep A Secret?" Top 5 Page for this destination Capitol Reef National Park by goingsolo

Capitol Reef National Park Travel Guide: 199 reviews and 445 photos

Outside Magazine once referred to Capitol Reef as one of America's Top Eight Under Visited Parks. This gigantic fold in the Earth's crust- otherwise known as a National Park, receives about 750,000 visitors annually. Most of these folks explore the park in the summer months. While its not exactly crowded during its peak season, during October and November, the definite off-season, Capitol Reef is virtually deserted. If you visit on a dreary day in late November when a big snowstorm is threatening to strike at any moment, you'll see nary another soul.

Capitol Reef National Park

If you visit, which you should, you'll see lush landscape, towering formations that appear as more dirt than rock and a 100 mile uplift of the Earth's crust known as the Waterpocket Fold.

This page is under construction until I finish my other pages from the last trip. I'm currently working my way through in chronological order and I'll get here soon. Feel free to check back if you don't mind photos with a few gray clouds in them.

• Pros:A scenic park unspolied by hordes of tourists
  • Cons:A remote location prone to flash floods
  • In a nutshell:Utah's off the beaten path gem!
  • Last visit to Capitol Reef National Park: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 13, 2004

• Sep 1, 2008 at 5:51 PM

I’m planning a trip to Utah this coming Spring Break, as I want to introduce my kids to this part of the country. Prior to visiting this page, however, my plans didn’t include much outside of Salt Lake City. Thanks for introducing me to this park.

• mad4travel's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2006 at 1:42 PM

Great tips and photos. Its about the only park in Utah I never got to visit. Looks lovely tho'

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2006 at 1:29 PM

Thanks for visiting my Williamsburg page. The rock walls of Capitol Reef look amazing. The southwest seems like a very beautiful and wild place. Great page!

goingsolo

“"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."”

Badges & Stats in Capitol Reef National Park

Have you been to Capitol Reef National Park?

Latest Activity in Capitol Reef National Park