"Oregons Tallest mountain" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Hood by goingsolo
Mount Hood Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 184 photos
I fell in love with Oregon during my first visit in 2001. Driving east out of Portland for the first time, I was in awe of Mount Hood towering in the distance, luring me away from the pretty city that held too much concrete and pavement for my tastes to, well, greener and whiter pastures.
I made a brief stop at Mount Hood, stayed at Timberline Lodge, and stumbled along the base, following the ski lifts which began at its slopes. During that trip, and days of far less travel, I thought I'd never find my way to Oregon again.
On May 26, 2007 at about 7:15 a.m., we reached the summit of Mount Hood. A trip 2 years in the making, marred by disappointment on the first go round (see below). Amazingly, the 2 photos were taken in almost the same location, one year apart. The differences between then and now are striking, and not just on the landscape.
In May, 2006, I returned to Mount Hood for the second time, intending to hike to the summit. Since my first visit was so brief and this page was so bare bones, I scrapped it, except for the hotel and restaurant tips. I planned to rebuild the page and to regale the three of you who read my pages with fanciful tales of the clinb and beautiful summit photos. Unfortunately, things did not go as planned. You can read about it in the travelogue below. Or, if you're curious about the journey up the mountain, take a look inside this page.
- Pros:Beautiful scenery, great climbing
- Cons:Unpredictable weather and prone to disappointment (or worse)
- In a nutshell:The best view of Oregon!
The restaurant is located in Government Camp, a short drive from Mount Hood. It may have changed ownership as the name... more travel advice
I started loading gear into the car. Walking through the lobby at about 12:50 a.m dressed in ski pants, a ski cap,... more travel advice
goingsolo's Related Pages
Mount Hood Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oregons Tallest mountain"
- "Top of Oregon"
- "Oregon's Private Playground: Mount Hood"
- "Spectacular Backdrop to Portland"
- "Up on Mt. Hood."
- "Amazing Scenery!"
- "Another Whopping Great Mtn in the Pacific Nor'west"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Hood
- Hotels in Mount Hood
- Transportation in Mount Hood
- Nightlife in Mount Hood
- Restaurants in Mount Hood
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Hood
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Hood
- 36 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Mount Hood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Hood
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue