"Oregons Tallest mountain" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Hood by goingsolo

Mount Hood Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 182 photos

Been there climbed that

I fell in love with Oregon during my first visit in 2001. Driving east out of Portland for the first time, I was in awe of Mount Hood towering in the distance, luring me away from the pretty city that held too much concrete and pavement for my tastes to, well, greener and whiter pastures.

I made a brief stop at Mount Hood, stayed at Timberline Lodge, and stumbled along the base, following the ski lifts which began at its slopes. During that trip, and days of far less travel, I thought I'd never find my way to Oregon again.

On May 26, 2007 at about 7:15 a.m., we reached the summit of Mount Hood. A trip 2 years in the making, marred by disappointment on the first go round (see below). Amazingly, the 2 photos were taken in almost the same location, one year apart. The differences between then and now are striking, and not just on the landscape.

The best laid plans....

In May, 2006, I returned to Mount Hood for the second time, intending to hike to the summit. Since my first visit was so brief and this page was so bare bones, I scrapped it, except for the hotel and restaurant tips. I planned to rebuild the page and to regale the three of you who read my pages with fanciful tales of the clinb and beautiful summit photos. Unfortunately, things did not go as planned. You can read about it in the travelogue below. Or, if you're curious about the journey up the mountain, take a look inside this page.

• Pros:Beautiful scenery, great climbing
  • Cons:Unpredictable weather and prone to disappointment (or worse)
  • In a nutshell:The best view of Oregon!
  • Last visit to Mount Hood: May 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 7, 2007

• goodfish's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2007 at 7:27 PM

You DID it!! Yay for you!!! Amazing travelog and inspiration from our resident Old Soul. I hope you had some breath left when you "peaked" so the euphoria of the moment could take it away?

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2007 at 12:28 PM

Awesome!!! This is definitely one of the best pages I have ever read on VT. Very well written. I'm very proud of you and at the same time a little jealous. Looking forward to reading of your future adventures.

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2007 at 7:30 PM

Great feat, Lori! It was intriguing reading about your trek. Thanks for sharing and congratulations!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2006 at 7:12 PM

It still hasn't rained here since you left! ;-]

• ferdnbean's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2006 at 9:55 PM

"Summit picked this way comes"??? I am sorry about your setback...but so proud of your enduring spirit and optimism and the way you continue to go solo sowell. Ferd

• terps94's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2006 at 7:28 PM

good luck on next year try on Mt Hood. I know some AF Rescue guys that mans the station there once in awhile..

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2006 at 11:08 AM

Glad to see you made a great story out of your disappointment. Hope you get to try again -- after all, we love the word "crampon"!

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2006 at 6:31 PM

I like how you euphemize "stubborn" with "optimist"! This vacay sounds hellish. Just hearing the word "crampon" makes me shiver. Give me all the sordid details when you can. M.

• Jun 3, 2006 at 8:47 AM

YIKES!! Maybe August would be a better time to visit, no? I'm sure you had a blast anyway!!!

• Barbie2138's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2006 at 5:45 PM

So sorry L. I know you were looking forward to it. I was at Ranier one summer and encountered a wall of ice blocking the path. Icy mountains are not for me.

goingsolo

“"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."”

Badges & Stats in Mount Hood

Have you been to Mount Hood?

Latest Activity in Mount Hood