"Gateway to Mount Hood" Government Camp by goingsolo
Government Camp Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 13 photos
Government Camp can't compare to destination ski towns such as Vail, Oark City or Whistler. If you're looking for a high end ski destination, or a place with an apres ski scene, you will be disappointed. But Government Camp has two qualities that make it a great place for skiiers or climbers- its friendly and its functional.
Located just off the Timberline Mountain Road, Government Camp is a small trip of motels, seasonal ski equipment shops and convenience stores. It is not a destination in itself, but a great basecamp for mountain pursuits.
I arrived in Government Camp on a rainy Friday afternoon with Mount Hood in my sights. Mentally, that is, because the weather was preventing me from seeing little more than a few feet of the road in front of me. Since the only nightlife I planned to see was a trailhead, the lack of entertainment options was hardly bothersome. I found a great hotel here where the staff could not have been more helpful, a restaurant with decent food and a great beer selection to mitigate the disappointment of the aborted climb and the convenience of having Mount Hood just minutes away. In short, it was everything I needed.
- Pros:Friendly, functional and affordable
- Cons:Very little to do
- In a nutshell:A basecamp and not a ski town.
There are two convenience stores at Government Camp. The second is larger and has pretty much everything you need to... more travel advice
goingsolo's Related Pages
Government Camp Travel Guide
- Hotels in Government Camp
- Nightlife in Government Camp
- Restaurants in Government Camp
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Government Camp
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Government Camp?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Government Camp
Photos in Government CampSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue