"Gateway to Mount Hood" Government Camp by goingsolo

Government Camp Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 13 photos

Government Camp can't compare to destination ski towns such as Vail, Oark City or Whistler. If you're looking for a high end ski destination, or a place with an apres ski scene, you will be disappointed. But Government Camp has two qualities that make it a great place for skiiers or climbers- its friendly and its functional.

Located just off the Timberline Mountain Road, Government Camp is a small trip of motels, seasonal ski equipment shops and convenience stores. It is not a destination in itself, but a great basecamp for mountain pursuits.

I arrived in Government Camp on a rainy Friday afternoon with Mount Hood in my sights. Mentally, that is, because the weather was preventing me from seeing little more than a few feet of the road in front of me. Since the only nightlife I planned to see was a trailhead, the lack of entertainment options was hardly bothersome. I found a great hotel here where the staff could not have been more helpful, a restaurant with decent food and a great beer selection to mitigate the disappointment of the aborted climb and the convenience of having Mount Hood just minutes away. In short, it was everything I needed.

• Pros:Friendly, functional and affordable
  • Cons:Very little to do
  • In a nutshell:A basecamp and not a ski town.
  • Last visit to Government Camp: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 2, 2006

goingsolo

“"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."”

Badges & Stats in Government Camp

Have you been to Government Camp?

Latest Activity in Government Camp