"One of the first National Parks" Crater Lake National Park by goingsolo
Crater Lake National Park Travel Guide: 145 reviews and 420 photos
Crater Lake was designated a National Park in May, 1902. Most National Parks are unique, and this one is no exception. Its centerpiece and namesake is a 21 square mile lake of such an intense blue that it cannot be put into words.
The most fascinating thing about this lake, other than its mezmerizing hue, is that it was created from the eruption of an ancient volcanic chain of mountains. In approximately 5700 B.C., old Mount Manzama exploded in a volcanic eruption that sent ash and debris skyward. The mountain's summit collapsed under the weight of the ash, and it smoldering form began accumulating snow and rain over a period of hundreds of years. The result became the deepest lake in the United States and the centerpiece for the National Park that bears its name.
There is a 33 mile road which is open during the summer through October which circumnavigates the lake. You can also tour the lake by boat and stop at Wizard Island- a cinder cone shaped atoll which was formed from the debris of erupting Mount Mazama. Wizard Island rises about 700 feet above the lake. The park service offers a tour of the island and there's a short trail leading to the top, where you can look at the inside of this cinder cone.
- Pros:Stunning scenery and well marked trails.
- Cons:A remote location and far drive.
- In a nutshell:One of the most interesting National Parks.
goingsolo's Related Pages
Crater Lake National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Crater Lake National Park Page"
- "Crater Lake National Park"
- "Reflections of Crater Lake"
- "The purest body of water in the world!"
- "Crater Lake is Oregon's 'National' Park"
- "Jewel in the Cascades"
- "Where Else Can You Swim in a Volcano?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Crater Lake National Park
- Hotels in Crater Lake National Park
- Transportation in Crater Lake National Park
- Nightlife in Crater Lake National Park
- Restaurants in Crater Lake National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Crater Lake National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Crater Lake National Park
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Crater Lake National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Crater Lake National Park
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "Re: B&Bs in Anchorage"
- Commented on one of Hopkid's Crater Lake National Park travel pages
- updated a Crater Lake National Park Travel Page "One of the first National Parks"
- Wrote a Review En route to the lake in Crater Lake National Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Views of the lake"
Photos in Crater Lake National ParkSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (27)
Latest Crater Lake National Park hotel reviews
- Crater Lake Lodge
- 435 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013