"The Big Apple" New York City by goingsolo
New York City Travel Guide: 15,876 reviews and 31,910 photos
New York City is a dynamic, energetic and faced past metropolis like no other. Most people, New Yorkers included, have a love-hate relationship with the Big Apple. Personally, I love it. Except for the traffic, weather, high prices and cramped conditions.
"The City", as its referred to by its local population, is a veritable melting pot cultures. Walk down any street in the City and you'll see Chinese, Italian, Vietnamese, Indian, Carribean, Middle Eastern and other restaurants one after the other. Hop in a cab and, if your driver is friendly, you'll likely hear traces of his ancestry as he speaks, probably at a rapid fire pace while his cab weaves through a maze of brake lights and swarms of street crossing pedestrians. Walk along a Midtown Avenue and the vibe and rushed and frenzied energy of the city will engulf you. Its as if everyone has somewhere to go and is in a hurry to get there.
The culture of New York extends beyond the intangibles. Theatre, restaurants and famous landmarks surround you in the City. Towering structures- symbols of the City's wealth and power- engulf the skyline, dwarfing your presence as you attempt to take it all in. Add to that museums, parks and shopping, not to mention neighborhoods filled with ethnic food, shopping and people. All of this amazed and overwhelmed me simultaneously on my first visit to the Big Apple. And that visit was a mere 48 hours.
Since that time, I've returned to New York countless times. On my forays as a student with severely limited funds and as an adult with still limited travel resources, my favorite activites in the City remain the same. It is the culture and vibe of New York that draws me back time and again, the pulse of the city that seems to radiate off the sidewalks and extend upward to the skyscrapers. New York is a city of boundless energy and endless possibility.
I actually took this picture in Las Vegas, but it was part of a dedication to the New York Fire Department so it seemed more appropriate on this page.
New York is the greatest city I know. Granted, I haven't traveled much outside this country so my perspective is limited, but its still a city like no other. And its the New Yorkers that make this city so great. They're edgy, they can be abrupt, but there's something remarkable about them. And, tragically, nothing proved that more than the events of 9/11 and the days that followed.
Rockefeller Center at Christmastime. The huge tree all lit up is quite a famous sight and one of many you'll find exploring the streets of New York City.
My favorite New York City pastime is exploring the nooks and crannies. Each street holds new discoveries in the form of restaurants, shops or simply admiring the old brick buildings. I haven't experienced most of the top New York experiences; in fact, I've yet to have the best pizza or to see a Broadway show. But I'll try to give you my perspective on the eclectic and offbeat characteristics of NYC and why I love it so much.
- Pros:Non stop excitement and energy
- Cons:Crowded and fast paced
- In a nutshell:NYC is the best city in the world
Greenwich Village is an area which needs to be experienced in order to be understood. It is an eclectic collection of... more travel advice
If you are wandering along Fifth Avenue in Midtown Manhattan, the crowds will practically pull you into Rockefeller... more travel advice
goingsolo's Related Pages
New York City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
- "NYC: Everyday, Something new."
- "I Heart New York."
- ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- ". : New York City : ."
- "New York City"
- "Oh, how I want to be a part of it!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York City
- Hotels in New York City
- Transportation in New York City
- Nightlife in New York City
- Restaurants in New York City
- Shopping in New York City
- Warnings and Dangers in New York City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York City
- 21 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York City
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "Re: B&Bs in Anchorage"
- Commented on one of londonlover's New York City travel pages
- updated a New York City Travel Page "The Big Apple"
- Uploaded a Photo to "In search of the authentic Delicatessen"
- Wrote a Review "The Village" about Greenwich Village in New York City Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue