"The Big Apple" New York City by goingsolo

New York City Travel Guide: 15,726 reviews and 31,518 photos

New York City is a dynamic, energetic and faced past metropolis like no other. Most people, New Yorkers included, have a love-hate relationship with the Big Apple. Personally, I love it. Except for the traffic, weather, high prices and cramped conditions.

"The City", as its referred to by its local population, is a veritable melting pot cultures. Walk down any street in the City and you'll see Chinese, Italian, Vietnamese, Indian, Carribean, Middle Eastern and other restaurants one after the other. Hop in a cab and, if your driver is friendly, you'll likely hear traces of his ancestry as he speaks, probably at a rapid fire pace while his cab weaves through a maze of brake lights and swarms of street crossing pedestrians. Walk along a Midtown Avenue and the vibe and rushed and frenzied energy of the city will engulf you. Its as if everyone has somewhere to go and is in a hurry to get there.

The culture of New York extends beyond the intangibles. Theatre, restaurants and famous landmarks surround you in the City. Towering structures- symbols of the City's wealth and power- engulf the skyline, dwarfing your presence as you attempt to take it all in. Add to that museums, parks and shopping, not to mention neighborhoods filled with ethnic food, shopping and people. All of this amazed and overwhelmed me simultaneously on my first visit to the Big Apple. And that visit was a mere 48 hours.

Since that time, I've returned to New York countless times. On my forays as a student with severely limited funds and as an adult with still limited travel resources, my favorite activites in the City remain the same. It is the culture and vibe of New York that draws me back time and again, the pulse of the city that seems to radiate off the sidewalks and extend upward to the skyscrapers. New York is a city of boundless energy and endless possibility.

I actually took this picture in Las Vegas, but it was part of a dedication to the New York Fire Department so it seemed more appropriate on this page.

New York is the greatest city I know. Granted, I haven't traveled much outside this country so my perspective is limited, but its still a city like no other. And its the New Yorkers that make this city so great. They're edgy, they can be abrupt, but there's something remarkable about them. And, tragically, nothing proved that more than the events of 9/11 and the days that followed.

Rockefeller Center at Christmastime. The huge tree all lit up is quite a famous sight and one of many you'll find exploring the streets of New York City.

My favorite New York City pastime is exploring the nooks and crannies. Each street holds new discoveries in the form of restaurants, shops or simply admiring the old brick buildings. I haven't experienced most of the top New York experiences; in fact, I've yet to have the best pizza or to see a Broadway show. But I'll try to give you my perspective on the eclectic and offbeat characteristics of NYC and why I love it so much.

• Pros:Non stop excitement and energy
  • Cons:Crowded and fast paced
  • In a nutshell:NYC is the best city in the world
  • Last visit to New York City: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated May 17, 2005

• irishgalmtl's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2006 at 5:29 AM

Hello there L, You are very welcome I hope your special day was very enjoyable. Thank you for your info on NYC. Cheers!...Donna :)

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2004 at 9:44 AM

I'm looking forward to my third trip to New York City ... Unfortunately it hasn't been scheduled yet, but there's so much I haven't seen yet. Thanks for your tips.

• mapakettle's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2004 at 6:13 AM

So that's where the soup place is...thanks. Pa

goingsolo

“"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."”

Badges & Stats in New York City

Have you been to New York City?

Latest Activity in New York City