"Nevada's Finest State Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Valley of Fire State Park by goingsolo

Valley of Fire State Park Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 324 photos

Fire without brimstone

Nevada's oldest state park is a treasure trove of striking scenery, bizarre rock formations and prehistoric art and writings. This photogenic park derives its name from its famous red sandstone formations which were created over 100 million years ago.

Long before Valley of the Fire became a modern day tourist attraction, it was the home of the Anasazi, who left behind pertoglyphs, ancient rock art. Walking through the Mouse's Tank and other areas, you can see these ancient sketchings with your own eyes- communications from those who lived in the region as early as 300 A.D.

Valley of the Fire is extremely well laid out. A paved road runs from end to end, branching off at certain points leading to even more spectacular finds. Although its an easy day trip from Las Vegas, you could easily spend a couple of days in the park. If time does not permit such an in depth exploration, allow yourself at least a couple of hours here as it is well worth the visit.

• Pros:A well laid out park rich in history and scenery.
  • Cons:A bit remote and at least an hour drive from Las Vegas.
  • In a nutshell:The oldest and finest scenery in Nevada.
  • Last visit to Valley of Fire State Park: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 12, 2004

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I have just recently heard about this state park, and you have helped me to solidify plans to stop here, next time we decide to leave home some Febrary for a month away. Thanks for the nice tips!

• Apr 25, 2007 at 7:35 PM

I can't begin to share the absolute awe inspiring views. This is such a work of God and it is a pleasure to be able to visit. A couple of days is about what is would take to really enjoy all this place has to offer. I advise camping.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2005 at 7:30 PM

Wonderful page ! Always drove by Valley of Fire and never made it into. And interesting - I was not aware of it being scenery for Star Wars. Next time I'll have a closer look :-) Thanks for sharing !

• Vegasdi623's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2005 at 2:36 PM

This is a gorgeous park! I don' t know about you, but I kept seeing faces in every rock that we went by! I thought I was starting to go crazy~~...I have some photos I need to upload on my site of the park--it was a definite high point for me!

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2005 at 11:34 AM

Stunning photo's...I'll give this place a try next time i'm in LV! Thanks! Happy travels, Blu

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2005 at 2:45 PM

I loved this park!!! the Elephant rock was my favorite by far. Very nice overview. :)

goingsolo

“"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."”

Badges & Stats in Valley of Fire State Park

Have you been to Valley of Fire State Park?

Latest Activity in Valley of Fire State Park