"Las Vegas Mountain Retreat" Mount Charleston by goingsolo
Mount Charleston Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 71 photos
Mount Charleston is the quintessential Las Vegas getaway. Its cooler temperatures in the summer make it an oasis from the heat while its winter wonderland environment create the perfect place to play and ski, and all within an hour of Sin City.
The Mount Charleston area is not exactly a resort, but it contains some nice places to stay. The small friendly community that lives on the mountain isn't much into the nightlife scene, either. But this is more of a place to escape all that.
There are some scenic routes to drive along the main highway leading up the mountain as well as some side roads that make for interesting scenic drives. Numerous short trails criss cross the mountain, providing for a bit of exercise as well. And there's Charleston Peak, the big climb of them all.
I visited Mount Charleston on Thanksgiving Day, 2004. An unexpected storm a few days before produced enough snow to turn the mountain into a veritable winter wonderland.
The arrival of snow brought a festive atmosphere to the mountain and many people were taking full advantage of all snow related activities. It was a fantastic experience, and one that made it easy to forget that the glittering excesses of Las Vegas were only about 30 miles away.
- Pros:Cooler temps than Vegas in the summer and a snow lovers paradise in the winter
- Cons:Few facilities and services available on the mountain
- In a nutshell:The perfect retreat from Las Vegas burnout.
As you can see from the picture, the room has a rustic appearance with its slanted ceiling and earth tone decor. It was... more travel advice
The Las Vegas ski and snowboard resort is located in Lee Canyon. It is the closest place to Las Vegas for skiing. The... more travel advice
goingsolo's Related Pages
Mount Charleston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Escape to Mount Charleston"
- "Mountain Respite"
- "Las Vegas Mountain Retreat"
- "SoCal78's Mount Charleston Pic's"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Charleston
- Hotels in Mount Charleston
- Transportation in Mount Charleston
- Nightlife in Mount Charleston
- Restaurants in Mount Charleston
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Charleston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Charleston
- 32 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Mount Charleston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Charleston
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "Re: B&Bs in Anchorage"
- Wrote a Review Mount Charleston Hotel, continued in Mount Charleston Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mount Charleston Hotel, continued"
- updated a Mount Charleston Travel Page "Las Vegas Mountain Retreat"
- Commented on one of soccergrrl's Mount Charleston travel pages
Photos in Mount CharlestonSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue