"White Mountain Area" Top 5 Page for this destination North Conway by goingsolo
North Conway Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 218 photos
North Conway is a small town located at the base of the White Mountains. It is a friendly place that, in the summertime, caters to tourists eager to explore the trails and recreational opportunities among its rolling hills. It serves as a launching point for exploring Mount Washington and the other Presidential Peaks, or for anyone aspiring to climb the 4,000 footers of New Hampshire. The town also has an artsy feel to it with dozens of craft shops along and near the main highway that runs right through it. The fall brings visitors who are checking out the New England fall foliage that I hope to see someday. Winter brings the opening of ski areas and ice climbing.
North Conway is also home to numerous outlet malls and a large crowd of tourists who flock to this pretty area to shop. As a result, a drive along the main highway brings memories of Gatlinburgh with its crawling traffic. Although, thankfully, the tackiness that has invaded the Tennessee gateway into the Great Smokies is not present in New Hampshire. I am simply not a shopping person so I can't tell you much about the excellent opportunities to pursue the outlet bargain of your dreams while in North Conway. But I can tell you a bit about the natural pursuits you'll find here.
I visited North Conway for the first time in the summer of 2003. I was preparing for a Grand Canyon hike and figured that a trek up Mount Washington would be great training. On that trip, I learned never to laugh at mountains that are only 6,000 feet tall. New Hampshire has some of the toughest, steepest hiking in the country. I also learned that New Hampshire is the granite state and is quite proud of the large, slippery and unstable rocks that line the path to the summit of its tallest mountain. After a long day of falling, slipping and ankle twisting along the path to what I'd described as a "foothill", I was eager to leave the Granite Mountains behind.
In July, 2006, I decided to return. I think my ankles had finally healed. Since Mount Whitney was coming up in a month, it seemed a good idea to head back to what I'd recalled as a brutal training ground. This time, my only views of Mount Washington were from the distant summit of lesser peaks. 4,000 feet didn't seem like such a walk in the park anymore.
Upon returning, I discovered the beauty of the rolling hills of New Hampshire and was surprised that I'd missed it the first time around. Once you get past the outlet malls, this is truly beautiful country. The White Mountain National Forest is a hiker's paradise with a network of trails that are perfect for dayhikes and beyond. Let's talk a walk in New Hampshire's woods and explore the beauty first hand. Just make sure to watch out for those rocks.
Mount Washington summit in the winter. Quite different than the crowds of summer.
- Pros:Magnificent wide open forest area with expansive views
- Cons:Expensive and lots of traffic
- In a nutshell:A good place to stay for touring the Mt. Washington area
The 4000 footers are the mountains of New Hampshire, nearly 50 of them, that are 4000 feet and above. Since America is... more travel advice
If you're not looking for crowds or the acclaim of New Hampshire's highest peak, then Pierce is a great alternative.... more travel advice
goingsolo's Related Pages
North Conway Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "30th Anniversary in North Conway"
- "In the Mt. Washington Valley there's North Conway!"
- "The Long Awaited Ski Vacation to Die For"
- "North Conway"
- "White Mountain Area"
- "Take a Ride Through the Wild Side"
- "Kai's North Conway Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in North Conway
- Hotels in North Conway
- Transportation in North Conway
- Nightlife in North Conway
- Restaurants in North Conway
- Shopping in North Conway
- Warnings and Dangers in North Conway
- See All...
Badges & Stats in North Conway
- 16 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to North Conway?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in North Conway
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue