"From ancient times to new commercialism" Top 5 Page for this destination Cherokee by goingsolo
Cherokee Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 70 photos
Cherokee is named after the Indian nation that has occupied this land for over 10,000 years. The Cherokee civilization was interrupted by the arrival of white settlers, the American Revolution and, after years of treaties, proclamations and promises broken, the forced removal of the majority of the tribe in the 1800s.
This event, known as the Trail of Tears, was a forced march of some 16,000 members of the Cherokee trbe from western North Carolina to Oklahoma. No one knows for certain, but an estimated one fourth to one half of the Cherokee population perished during this long winter journey. But the most defiant members of the tribe refused to relinquish the land. They hid in the hills and these hardy souls are the ancestors of the Cherokee who occupy the land today.
Cherokee is part history and culture and part vapid commercialism. The museum and the Indian village are attempts to preserve the history and culture of this fascinating people. The main drag of Cherokee, which includes, as many modern Indian reservations do, a casino. It also includes numerous shops and attractions of varying degrees of commercial exploitation reflecting a sad attempt to conform to the modern times. Fortunately, Cherokee isn't quite as garish as Gatlinburg on the park's northern border and the town does have some interesting places to visit.
I spent a brief amount of time here, exploring, learing, and, I'll admit it, gambling. I'll try to highlight some of the points of interest and interesting points of this area on this page.
- Pros:Culturally interesting and with the Smoky Mountains as a backdrop.
- Cons:Leans heavily towards tacky tourist attractions.
- In a nutshell:Visit the museum and the village and drop a couple of bucks at the casino.
The Cherokee museum makes great strides in bebunking many myths concerning Native Americans. Although most lived off the... more travel advice
Harrah's is probably the most popular attraction in Cherokee. The large casino has all of the features of a Las Vegas... more travel advice
goingsolo's Related Pages
Cherokee Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "From ancient times to new commercialism"
- "Cherokee Nation- NC"
- "Fun Camping in Cherokee"
- "Cherokee North Carolina"
- "Indian Town entrance to Great Smoky Mountains"
- "Is this really our Native American heritage?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cherokee
- Hotels in Cherokee
- Restaurants in Cherokee
- Shopping in Cherokee
- See All...
Explore the World
- Astypalaia Hotels
- Grüner See Hotels
- Las Cruces Hotels
- Olongapo City
- Skanör med Falsterbo
- Porto Santo Stefano
- Vitrolles Hotels
- Saint George Basseterre
- Yoho National Park
- Kharkivs'ka Oblast'
- Kampong Beribi Hotels
- Isola di Capraia
- El Abrigo
- Wiltshire Hotels
Badges & Stats in Cherokee
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Cherokee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cherokee
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (27)
Latest Cherokee hotel reviews
- Harrah's Cherokee Casino & Hotel
- 1076 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Ramada Limited Cherokee
- 112 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Days Inn Cherokee/Smokey Mountains
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Comfort Inn - Cherokee
- 151 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Hampton Inn Cherokee
- 171 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013