"Hidden Lake, falls and Blood Mountain" Vogel State Park by goingsolo

Vogel State Park Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 30 photos

Vogel State Park is located about 10 miles south of Blairsville in North Georgia. A sign marks the turnoff from the highway leading to this local favorite. The park was created by the Civilian Conservation Corps and it is one of Georgia's oldest state parks. The Corps created the lake by erecting a dam in Wolf Creek. The lake is named for a Cherokee maiden who is buried nearby.

Lake Trahlyta is a picturesque spot for a picnic or a lazy outdoor afternoon. There are picnic tables, camping sites and even a mini golf course located on the park grounds. Boats are available for rent and there are hiking trails ranging from a stroll around the lake to a steep trek up Blood Mountain, shown in the distance.

I stopped at this park on a whim. It was one of those detours that usually amount to nothing, but, in this case, resulted in a very pleasant surprise. This is a beautiful park and one worth exploring. Feel free to browse around this page and have a look at the scenic hidden waterfall.

• Pros:Beautiful park with lots of recreational opportunities.
  • Cons:Virtually unknown to outsiders (actually, that's not a bad thing).
  • In a nutshell:A hidden gem.
  • Last visit to Vogel State Park: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Aug 1, 2005

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2005 at 6:36 PM

I'm assuming there's an interesting story behind the name "Blood Mountain". I'm also assuming I'd be in my own private hell, camping out in a tent. But then that's no surprise....

• Dec 17, 2005 at 1:20 AM

The Vogel State Park looks like a great place to visit! Lovely pic. and info. Thank you, L.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2005 at 6:29 PM

There you go, visiting another one of my old haunts. When I lived in Georgia I hiked at Vogel several times. The trek over Blood Mountain is a highlight of the AT in Georgia.

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2005 at 8:29 PM

The South is an area on my travel map I have never gotten to, it sounds perfectly lovely. Why do they call it "Blood Mountain?" Kat

goingsolo

“"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."”

Badges & Stats in Vogel State Park

Have you been to Vogel State Park?

Latest Activity in Vogel State Park