"The Fort that Lee Built" Fort Pulaski National Monument by goingsolo
Fort Pulaski National Monument Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 51 photos
After graduating West Point in 1829, young Robert E. Lee's first task was to construct Fort Pulaski. The fort took nearly 20 years to build and was supposed to be used to protect the United States against invasion. Instead, the fort became a staging ground for a stand-off between the Confederate and Union armies.
In 1861, the Georgia militia seized Fort Pulaski. The Union Army began firing on the fort from nearby Tybee Island. In April, 1862, after a 30 hour barrage of canon fire, Charles Olmstead surrendered the fort to the Union forces. The high brick walls sustained massive damage, which remains visible with the indentations of canon fire. The battle to recapture Fort Pulaski marked one of the first uses of rifle canons, long range weapons capable of destroying brick fortresses.
A visit to Fort Pulaski tells part of the stories of the two armies struggle. The Union carried the day here, but it would be another three years before the bloodiest battle would end. Fort Pulaski was an important part of the Confederates defense against naval attacks and helped protect against invasion inland to the city of Atlanta. But this fort was not the stronghold of the Confederates and, although they fought bravely to keep possession, it was neither the beginning or the ending battle of the war. But those are stories for other pages.
Once the fort was reclaimed by the Union, it was put to better use, from both the standpoint of the Union as well as its... more travel advice
These are the holes made by the rifle canon fire from Tybee Island. The continuous bombardment lasted 30 hours. The... more travel advice
goingsolo's Related Pages
Fort Pulaski National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Fort that Lee Built"
- "Out of the Mists of Time"
- "Fort Pulaski Virtual Tour"
- "Basaic Fort Pulaski Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Pulaski National Monument
- 8 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Fort Pulaski National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Pulaski National Monument
Photos in Fort Pulaski National MonumentSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue