"Sinkholes Aplenty" O'Leno State Park by goingsolo
O'Leno State Park Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 1 photos
O'Leno State Park is a throwback to earlier times. Back in "the day", the area was a town along a crossing route for travelers and traders. It was also named Keno, which was a form of gambling. Some religious folk objected to the town being named after gambling and the name was changed to Leno. Presumably, this was due to the fact that the letter "L" proceeds "K" in the alphabet. I read this in a guidebook so it must be 100% true.
Today, O'Leno is a pretty park in High Springs, about 40 minutes from Gainesville. A series of hiking trails meanders past sinkholes and through forested areas. Since most people do not visit this area, and the few who do detour to Gainesville to watch the Florida Gators play football, the park is largely uncrowded. At least, that was the case on the eve of Christmas Eve when I visited.
- Pros:Serene, quiet and practically empty
- Cons:An out of the way place that would be murder in the summer.
- In a nutshell:A great place to experience "Old Florida"
goingsolo's Related Pages
O'Leno State Park Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in O'Leno State Park
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to O'Leno State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in O'Leno State Park
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue