"goingsolo's new Islamorada Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Islamorada by goingsolo
Islamorada Travel Guide: 124 reviews and 206 photos
Islamorada is probably the most commercial area in the Keys. If you're looking for solitude, skip it. But, if you want to drink Rum Runners and dance on the beach, then this is the place to go.
Islamorada is second only to Key West in being a spring break-type location. Many Florida residents find it preferable to Key West as it is a shorter drive from the mainland. While most people don't think they've seen the Keys unless they make it all the way down to Key West, there is enough to see and do in Islamorada that you can focus on this area and leave feeling that you have experienced all that the Keys have to offer.
Islamorada means "purple isle". Although you won't find much purple here, this area has some of the best shallow coral reefs, which are perfect for snorkeling and, for those who venture out, wreck diving. Islamorada is also known as the Sportfishing Capital of the World and hosts several fishing tournaments throughout the year.
Islamorada is home to Holiday Isle Resort and the "world famous" Tiki Bar. The resort is a large (for the Keys, anyway) resort with a hotel, water sports, pool area, outdoor bar and the Tiki Bar. Its a one stop outdoor entertainment complex. Away from Holiday Isle, you'll find some great restaurants, one of the best hotels in the Keys and, maybe, if you're lucky, a secluded spot to catch one of the fabulous sunsets.
- Pros:A visit here offers the complete Florida Keys experience.
- Cons:Often crowded and overpriced.
- In a nutshell:A great place to visit, unless you're seeking solitude.
Kokomos is an outdoor bar located near the pool in the Holiday Isle complex. On the weekends, a reggae band plays here... more travel advice
Cheeca Lodge has one of the best restaurants in Florida. The food here is not only delicious, but healthy as well. The... more travel advice
goingsolo's Related Pages
Islamorada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "islamorada florida"
- "goingsolo's new Islamorada Page"
- "Islamorada - Middle Keys Paradise"
- "Finding the common ground in the Florida Keys"
- "Game Fishing Capital"
- "Fishing in Islamorada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Islamorada
- Hotels in Islamorada
- Transportation in Islamorada
- Nightlife in Islamorada
- Restaurants in Islamorada
- Shopping in Islamorada
- Warnings and Dangers in Islamorada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Islamorada
- 13 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Islamorada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Islamorada
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue