"Captivating Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Captiva Island by goingsolo
Captiva Island Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 46 photos
Captiva Island is a tiny island off Florida's west coast, near Sanibel Island and Naples. The island has 500 permanent residents although its high season of winter brings a large infulx of tourists and part timeers which quadruple the population.
Captiva Island is an environmentally protected island which remains free from large commercial development and the big-chain and big name establishments that populate and metropolis and creep into the boundaries of small towns. You'll find none of that here. Instead, you'll find largely unspoiled white sand beaches, funky brightly colored buildings and large homes built precariously close to the water's edge which belie the wealth and exclusivity of the island.
Captiva is connected to Sanibel by a bridge, symbolic of its remoteness and of the fact that entering Captiva is entering another world. Much like the Carribean, there is a feeling that time stands still here and there's little else to do than lie on the beach and await a much anticipated ocean breeze.
But Captiva offers more enchantment than its white sand. The South Seas resort forms a village at the base of the island, creating a center of activity of water sports, shopping and dining. Speaking of the latter, Captiva has several fantastic restaurants which serve great seafood and much more. Captiva has a few more perks thrown in for good measure. The island is so small you can walk from one end to another, or, at least, it feels as though you can, and, once here, you'll find that the automobile is a necessity reserved for the mainland. Captiva also juts out along the west coast, providing some of the most spectacular sunsets imaginable.
It's hard to find anything not to like about Captiva, except, perhaps, the steep prices of the resort and few hotels on the island. But if you can tolerate the summertime heat, prices diminish considerably.
In short, Captiva is a must see destination for any travels along the west coast of Florida. Even if you don't stay here, take a drive or walk around to view the sights on this tiny island paradise.
- Pros:Idyllic relaxing setting
- Cons:Idyllic relaxing settings come at a steep price and can generate restlessness
- In a nutshell:A great place to visit for a getaway weekend or less.
Captiva has some beautiful white sand beaches. Due to the city's efforts to preserve and conserve, you'll find a... more travel advice
Construction and zoning ordinances prevent any buildings over three stories. This helps preserve the ocean views and... more travel advice
goingsolo's Related Pages
Captiva Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Captivating Captiva...a perfect place."
- "The Perfect Vacation"
- "captiva island florida"
- "Captiva Island"
- "Captivating Island"
- "beach combing"
- "Royal Captiva Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Captiva Island
- Hotels in Captiva Island
- Nightlife in Captiva Island
- Restaurants in Captiva Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Captiva Island
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Captiva Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Captiva Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (27)
Latest Captiva Island hotel reviews
- South Seas Resort
- 1486 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Captiva Island Inn Bed & Breakfast
- 142 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Tween Waters Inn Capitva Island
- 738 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Jensen's Twin Palm Cottages and Marina
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- North Captiva Island Club Resort
- 162 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2013