"14er country" Top 5 Page for this destination Salida by goingsolo
Salida Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 45 photos
The Salida, Colorado area is the crossroads for the three interstate highways: U.S. 24, 50 and 285. Driving distance from Denver is approximately 130 miles, 100 miles from Colorado Springs and 60 miles from Gunnison.
The elevation of the Salida, Colorado area ranges from just under 7,000 to over 14,000 feet on its highest peaks, providing some of the most spectacular views to be seen anywhere in the world. In fact, Chaffee County where Salida, Colorado resides has more mountain peaks of 14,000-foot or more than any other county in Colorado and is often referred to as the "Fourteener" Region.
US 50 from Gunnison crosses Monarch Pass, which, at 11,312 feet is the highest point on US 50 and straddles the Continental Divide. At the eastern foot on Monarch Pass lies the tiny town of Poncha Springs, which features a truck stop with great Mexican food and a stage shop which claims to have hosted every Wild West figure from Billy the Kid to Teddy Roosevelt.
Salida struck me as Gunnison without the college. A small, small town. I really only passed through and didn't stick around long enough to enjoy any white water rafting. So I can't comment on much more than the scenery, but the Sangre de Cristo mountains alone made this leg of the trip worthwhile. The views from town are worth seeing and only get better as you continue east on US 50.
- Pros:Plenty of recreational opportunities and great views
- Cons:A very small town with little to do in the evenings
- In a nutshell:A great place for hiking or rafting
The Royal Bridge is, in my opinion, one of the most overpriced tourist traps in Colorado. I wrote about it on my Canon... more travel advice
Historic downtown Salida is located off hwy 291 away from the main drag of hwy 50. You don't even need to blink in order... more travel advice
goingsolo's Related Pages
Salida Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Salida, Colorado"
- "Salida, CO"
- "Fresh Air, Outdoor Activities, Beer, Pizza"
- "14er country"
- "Salida.....from Cowboy country to Cosmopolitan?"
- "Part cowpoke, part artsy I love Salida!"
- "Eric's Salida Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salida
- Hotels in Salida
- Nightlife in Salida
- Restaurants in Salida
- Warnings and Dangers in Salida
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salida
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Salida?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salida
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue