Ouray Off The Beaten Path Tips by goingsolo Top 5 Page for this destination
Ouray Off The Beaten Path: 5 reviews and 5 photos
There are several abandoned mining sites in this area as well as Mount Sneffels, one of Colorado's climbable 14ers.
Take forest service road 853 (Camp Bird Road) near Box Canyon Falls
In 1884, three bachelors discovered silver near Ouray. The mine later produced $90 million in silver. The tour leads you through the mine on a mine train with real miners as guides. There's also an opportunity to pan for gold.
1 mi north of Ouray on Hwy 550 and turn right on CR 14
Phone: 970 325-0220
The museum in located in an 1887 miner's hospital and has several exhibits that depict the town's mining history. There's a re-created mine and other exhibits. 420 6th Avenue
Phone: 970 325-4576
Lower Cascade Falls
Just outside of town, its a short trail to the falls. Heading south on main street, turn left on 8th Avenue
snow and ice by the side of the road
In between seasons. Its still too early for ice climbing season to begin, although there has been some snowfall
More Reviews (35)
- See All Hiking is popular in the summer
- See All Memorial
- Sports and Crafts
- See All Architecture
- See All Mountain roads
goingsolo's Related Pages
Ouray Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "America's Little Switzerland"
- "Happy Trails....to you!!!!"
- "Yankee Boy Basin"
- "Ouray, Colorado "The Switzerland of America""
- "Ouray: A step back in time"
- "OURAY, COLORADO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ouray
- Hotels in Ouray
- Transportation in Ouray
- Nightlife in Ouray
- Restaurants in Ouray
- Shopping in Ouray
- Warnings and Dangers in Ouray
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ouray
- 41 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Ouray?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ouray
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue