"America's Little Switzerland" Top 5 Page for this destination Ouray by goingsolo
Ouray Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 100 photos
The town of Ouray is located at the base of the San Juan mountains which appear in the photo. It began as a mining town in the19th century. Hwy 550, the million dollar highway, runs through Red Mountain Pass which connects Ouray to the once mining towns of Ironton and Silverton.
Ouray is referred to as Little Switzerland due to the mountains and its turn of the century architecture. The entire downtown is registered as a National Historic District. It is also known for the over 300 hotsprings in the area, ice climbing in Box Canyon Falls and parkas well as biking and hiking.
- Pros:Charming small town rich in history and nestled at the base of the mountains
- Cons:An out of the way location
- In a nutshell:A great place to stop or at least drive through
Numerous trails short and long are located in the immediate area. more travel advice
- See All Residential Ouray
- See All Architecture
- See All Mountain roads
- Million Dollar Highway
goingsolo's Related Pages
Ouray Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "America's Little Switzerland"
- "Happy Trails....to you!!!!"
- "Yankee Boy Basin"
- "Ouray, Colorado "The Switzerland of America""
- "Ouray: A step back in time"
- "OURAY, COLORADO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ouray
- Hotels in Ouray
- Transportation in Ouray
- Nightlife in Ouray
- Restaurants in Ouray
- Shopping in Ouray
- Warnings and Dangers in Ouray
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ouray
- 41 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Ouray?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ouray
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue