"Sportsman's paradise" Gunnison by goingsolo
Gunnison Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 18 photos
A crossroads cattle town with a rapidly growing recreational aspect and the only commercial airport for miles. Gunnison is also home to world class rock climbing and mountain biking.
Gunnison is also situated close to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. The South Rim of this park is about 60 miles from Gunnison. The town of Montrose is a lot closer and is usually the stopping point for those that want to explore the Black Canyon. But in between Gunnison and the Black Canyon lies the Curecanti National Recreation Area, which is striking even if for no other reason than that its unusual to see a large body of water in Colorado. Some even go so far as to call these three reservoirs lakes. But seriously, the Blue Mesa, the largest of these three, is a popular spot for water recreation activities. Also, Crested Butte, a popular ski resort, is about an hour's drive from Gunnison.
Other than its central location and its recreational activities, there's little to do in Gunnison. At least, that's what I found in the couple of days I spent in the area. But its a nice place to visit, has friendly people and good restaurants and its a good place to learn (or attempt to learn) rock climbing.
- Pros:Plenty of recreational opportunities and great views
- Cons:About 200 miles from civilization
- In a nutshell:A great place to spend a few days
Another sunny and only slightly chilly a.m. It'll be hot today. A bit hot for rock climbing, but what can you do.... more travel advice
goingsolo's Related Pages
Gunnison Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gunnison Colorado & The Black Canyon of Gunnison"
- "Basaic Gunnison Page"
- "Sportsman's paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gunnison
- Hotels in Gunnison
- Restaurants in Gunnison
- Shopping in Gunnison
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gunnison
- 9 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Gunnison?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gunnison
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue