"Mountains and wildflowers" Crested Butte by goingsolo
Crested Butte Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 24 photos
Many people I spoke to in Colorado touted Crested Butte as a great ski resort, one which wasn't so up scale and upwardly priced as Aspen or Vail. I visited in the almost summer of late May so I can't comment on that. But Crested Butte was a friendly little town, although most shops, restaurants and even hotels were closed in late May. The mountains that bring in skiiers in the winter are fun to hike in the summer and by late June or early July, most of the snow has melted and the wildflowers are in bloom.
Originally a mining camp town attracting rebels like Butch Cassidy and Billy the Kid, Crested Butte now draws bikers and skiers from all over the world. On the National Register of Historic Places since 1974, Crested Butte's downtown is an eclectic mix of boldly painted faux-front buildings and miner's shacks. Quaint shops and eateries line Elk Avenue. Include in your visit stops at the Center for the Arts and the Crested Butte Mountain Heritage Museum; and revisit the unique history of fat-tire riding at the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame and Museum next door.
Three miles up the road from the town is Mount Crested Butte and the base area of the ski resort. Here you'll find world-class skiing, featuring some of Colorado's most extreme terrain. One of state's most unique cross-country trips links Crested Butte to Aspen, 28 miles distant. Its supposed to be a great hike in the summer.
- Pros:Less expensive than Aspen
- Cons:Unpopulated in late spring/early summer
- In a nutshell:A quaint ski town with lots of hiking opportunities
It took nearly four hours to reach the summit at just over 12, 000 feet. The first part was a grueling steep uphill... more travel advice
Up high I feel like I'm Alive for the very first time Up high I'm strong enough To take these dreams and make them... more travel advice
goingsolo's Related Pages
Crested Butte Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mountains and wildflowers"
- "Crested Butte 2005 Thanksgiving"
- "Rasta_Rob's Crested Butte Page"
- "eroberts's new Crested Butte Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Crested Butte
- Hotels in Crested Butte
- Restaurants in Crested Butte
- Warnings and Dangers in Crested Butte
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Crested Butte
- 16 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Crested Butte?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Crested Butte
Photos in Crested ButteSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue