"Colorado National Monument" Colorado National Monument by goingsolo
Colorado National Monument Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 94 photos
Colorado National Monument is actually a plateau surrounded by canyons and monolithic structures of sandstone and shale. The rocks were created 65 to 225 million years ago, according to geologists. It was declared a national monument in 1911 due largely to the efforts of John Otto.
Colorado National Monument is located west of Grand Junction, near the town of Fruita, off the Co 340 exit on I70. It is near the Utah border. Many of the cliffs have a red coloring similar to the formations found in Utah. But it is the size of these cliffs that makes them so remarkable, especially in comparison to Utah, whose landscape is characterized more so by the unique formations of the red rock hoodoos.
Rim Rock drive is the only road circling around the monument. Like most park roads, it has several pullouts to provide a view of the best scenery. Monument Canyon and Independence Monument Views are some of the most striking, again due to the height of the sheer vertical walls rising into the Colorado sky.
Colorado National Monument has a great trail system. Many of these trails lead to the bottom of the canyons. Trail descriptions and locations are available in a pamphlet which can be obtained at the Rim Rock Visitor's Center. There are also camping facilities and backcountry camping is also permitted. Perhaps its due to its out of the way location, but this area doesn't draw large crowds. It is a beautiful spot to drive, photograph and hike, and all in relative solitude.
- Pros:Stunning scenery and uncrowded conditions
- Cons:Fairly remote location
- In a nutshell:An excellent day trip from Grand Junction or Fruita
The park is located 23 miles from Grand Junction along Hwy 340 west. The visitor's center is located towards the middle... more travel advice
goingsolo's Related Pages
Colorado National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Colorado NM - Land of Plateaus & Canyons"
- "Like the Little Grand CAnyon"
- "Colorado National Monument"
- "A scenic bypass just outside Grand Junction"
- "Gem of Western Colorado"
- "Colorado Territory"
- "Pictures of Colorado National Monument"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Colorado National Monument
- 14 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Colorado National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colorado National Monument
Photos in Colorado National MonumentSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue