"The Gateway" Whitney Portal by goingsolo
Whitney Portal Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 57 photos
Whitney Portal is the official start of the Mount Whitney trails. The portal is located at the end of an 8 mile road at the base of the mountain and at an elevation of about 8,000 feet. It is a hub of activity, excitement and anticipation as hikers are beginning and ending their Sierra journeys at the portal.
My tips from the Mount Whitney hike are located on my Lone Pine page. Here you will find information about the portal itself.
A permit is required for hiking the Mount Whitney trail and for any hikes in the Mount Whitney Zone, which includes the... more travel advice
bMount Russell is a separate trip which uses detours from the Mount Whitney trail at Upper Boyscout Lake, approximately... more travel advice
goingsolo's Related Pages
Whitney Portal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Trailhead to the Top of the Continental U.S."
- "Camping at the base of Mt.Whitney"
- "The Gateway"
- "Whitney Portal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Whitney Portal
- Hotels in Whitney Portal
- Restaurants in Whitney Portal
- Warnings and Dangers in Whitney Portal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Whitney Portal
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Whitney Portal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Whitney Portal
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue