"Land of the Giants" Sequoia National Park by goingsolo
Sequoia National Park Travel Guide: 293 reviews and 638 photos
Sequoia National Park was named and established for the immense towering trees that mark its landscape. In fact, the park contains the world's largest concentration of sequoias.
The trees capture the attention of visitors in much the same way as the granite domes of Yosemite do in that they are unique in their number as well as their massive size. Its quite entertaining to watch people crouch down and point their zoom lenses optimistically upward, hoping to catch a photo of an entire fully grown sequoia.
Aside from a few roads, much of Sequoia National Park is designated wilderness. In fact, one can backpack to a spot that is farther from a road than anywhere else in the lower 48. At least, that's what National Geographic says.
Much like adjacent King's Canyon, Sequoia is far less crowded than northern neighbor Yosemite. To me, a less crowded park is more fun to visit. There are no shuttle buses, traffic jams or hordes of tourists, unless you're trying to get a look at General Sherman
Many of Sequoia's main visitor attractions center around the tall trees, but there is more to see and do in this park. A hike up the 400 or so steps to the top of Moro Rock will reward you with an incredible view. Drive up Mineral King Road for some high altitiude hiking. Or visit the underground Crystal Cave. But any visit to the park will involve the sequoias, because, after all, that's why this area became a national park in the first place.
- Pros:Walking in the shade of towering Sequoias in less crowded conditions than Yosemite
- Cons:The park's somewhat out of the way location makes it hard to get to
- In a nutshell:A definite side trip from Yosemite.
Sequoias grow naturally only on the west slope of the Sierra Nevada, at an elevation between 5,000 to 7,000 feet. While... more travel advice
Heading to or from Sequoia on Hwy 198, you'll cross the long flat San Joaquin Valley. This flat expanse of green and... more travel advice
goingsolo's Related Pages
Sequoia National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I Had to Tell a Tree about a Girl: Sequoia"
- "Sequoia National Park:California Family Adventure"
- "Sequoias reside in mountainous terrain"
- "The hidden park"
- "Sierra Nevada at its Best - SEQUOIA NAT PARK"
- "SEQUOIA & KINGS CANYON NATIONAL PARK"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sequoia National Park
- Hotels in Sequoia National Park
- Transportation in Sequoia National Park
- Nightlife in Sequoia National Park
- Restaurants in Sequoia National Park
- Shopping in Sequoia National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Sequoia National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sequoia National Park
- 31 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Sequoia National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sequoia National Park
Photos in Sequoia National ParkSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue