"Contiguous Land of Giants" Top 5 Page for this destination Kings Canyon National Park by goingsolo
Kings Canyon National Park Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 271 photos
Kings Canyon and Sequoia are contiguous parks which have been combined, at least for park management purposes. King's Canyon was established in 1940, 50 years after Sequoia reached park status. Three years later, in 1943, the parks became jointly administered and are now a 66 mile long combined park.
King's Canyon is located about 2 hours east of Fresno along highway 180 The last ten or so miles of the road wind, curve and climb in their ascent above the canyon, taking visitors farther and farther away from small towns and chain restaurants and closer to the wilderness that lies ahead.
The majority of the park is wilderness. Only one road passes through the area. In King's Canyon, that road is known as the King's Highway, and it runs for about 40 miles from the Big Stump entrance to Cedar Grove and the end of the road. The remainder of the park is wide open for backpackers to explore and animals to roam.
While Sequoia is known for its towering trees, King's Canyon is known for its large canyon, the largest in the United States. The park's other highlights include Grant Grove, Cedar Grove and the panoramic viewpoints along Kings Canyon Highway.
- Pros:Beautiful scenery and far less crowded than Yosemite
- Cons:Steep winding roads that are difficult to drive
- In a nutshell:Worth seeing in conjunction with Sequoia for the diverse scenery
Dunlap vista is a scenic turnout located along the highway leading into King's Canyon. more travel advice
In spite of what I said about aggressive CA drivers, if you have cars behind you, it is required that you pull over at... more travel advice
goingsolo's Related Pages
Kings Canyon National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Kings Canyon National Park Page"
- "A grand canyon of a different sort"
- "Contiguous Land of Giants"
- "HOME OF THE MOUNTAIN GODS - KCNP"
- "Kings Canyon...Worth The Time & Effort"
- "Takes a little effort to get here"
- "Kings Canyon National Park: Big Trees, Deep Canyon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kings Canyon National Park
- Hotels in Kings Canyon National Park
- Transportation in Kings Canyon National Park
- Nightlife in Kings Canyon National Park
- Restaurants in Kings Canyon National Park
- Shopping in Kings Canyon National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Kings Canyon National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kings Canyon National Park
- 22 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Kings Canyon National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kings Canyon National Park
Photos in Kings Canyon National ParkSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue