"Devils Postpile" Top 5 Page for this destination Devils Postpile National Monument by goingsolo

Hidden in the High Sierras is this large, unusual column that Congress decided must be termed a National Monument. Devil's Postpile is far from the most spectacular of the monuments, but the surrounding area is so scenic and filled with great outdoor pursuits that these other activities make the so called main attraction worth a visit.

The monument was formed when lava from a volcanic eruption flowed down the valley and was stopped by a natural obstruction that formed a dam, which caused the lava to form a deep pool of up to 400 feet. The lava cooled at a slow rate and formed the columns that now make up what is known as the Devil's Postpile.

I visited Devil's Postpile for the simple reason of curiosity. That and the fact that I simply couldn't be this close to a National Monument and not pay it a visit. The monument itself was worth a few photographs and a mental note of "that was interesting." But the pristine surrounding area in the high Sierras, open only for a short period of time before the fierce winter snows make it impassable, made me wish I had more time for this particular visit. So step inside and we'll take a look at this unusual creation and the beauty of the area that surrounds and ensconses it.

• Pros:An unusual monument surrounded by great scenery
  • Cons:Remote and inaccessible most of the year
  • In a nutshell:Worth a visit, allow some time for hiking
  • Last visit to Devils Postpile National Monument: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 10, 2006

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2013 at 6:12 AM

Nice tips

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2007 at 3:25 PM

I was in Mammoth in June 2006, but the road to the monument was still closed due to snow; I do hope to visit this area again, Rainbow Falls sounds lovely. Great page and photos!

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2006 at 7:39 PM

Nice page! We just got out here ourselves in September. I wish we would have budgeted a little more time....

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2006 at 4:30 AM

very absorbing. thanks.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2006 at 3:25 PM

This National Mounment is still on my "to do" list. But I wonder why they named it for the devil. It looks like heaven's postpile to me.

• Sep 21, 2006 at 2:19 PM

Hi L, Wonderful opening picture on this page. Wow! You are lucky to surrounded by so many great trails. Thanks for sharing!

• GuthrieColin's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2006 at 11:48 AM

This looks like somewhere i should really go. It looks awesome.

goingsolo

“"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."”

Badges & Stats in Devils Postpile National Monument

Have you been to Devils Postpile National Monument?

Latest Activity in Devils Postpile National Monument