"Low Valley Highs" Death Valley National Park by goingsolo
Death Valley National Park Travel Guide: 896 reviews and 1,904 photos
Every national park contains unique beauty, even this seemingly barren terrain. Desert landscapes, in general, are striking regions filled with contrasting pale and sunburnt colors, windswept and arid masses where the merest hint of verdant color seems a trick of the mind.
Death Valley is desert beauty and more. It is so stark, so extremely barren that, perhaps paradoxically, it is a soul searchingly beautiful place. Arid landscape flanks the weather beaten road which feels the effects of too much sun and then, without warning, the crushing torrent of a flash flood. Salt crystals accumulate on soil where nothing can grow and subtle rock formations in the form of mountains populate the horizon. Death Valley is eerie and otherworldly, desolate and beautiful.
Death Valley National Park is a land of extreme highs and lows. Summertime highs can soar to an unimaginable 120 deagrees F while winter temperatures can plummet to nearly 100 degrres lower. Death Valley also contains the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere, at 282 feet below sea level, while the pinnacle of Telescope peak reaches over 11,000 ft, a mere 15 miles away. The area is also the one of the most arid regions on the globe, averaging less than 2 inches per year. But when it rains, it sometimes pours. And floods.
I spent two days touring this land of extremes, hiking its canyons and peering at its salty flatlands. Visiting a desert climate is a delight in winter as daytime highs are pleasant and nights are pleasantly chilly. On this page, I'll try to hit the highs and lows of Death Valley as I saw them.
- Pros:Unique in its extremes and beauty
- Cons:Remote desert location which presents many dangers, especially in the summer
- In a nutshell:A winter time treasure trove of unique sights.
Golden Canyon's light colored walls contain deposits of silt and clay which were once located at the bottom of a lake.... more travel advice
The Golden Canyon walls contain mineral deposits which are remnants of the ancient lakes which once covered the area.... more travel advice
- See All Panamint Mountains
- See All Beat the heat
- See All Twenty Mule Team Canyon
- See All Panamint Springs
- See All Rock scrambling
goingsolo's Related Pages
Death Valley National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Death Valley National Park Page"
- "Death Valley ? No, a valley of flowers !"
- "~ Blooming with life!~"
- "Into the Valley of Death..."
- "Death Valley - Land of Beauty and Contrasts"
- "Death Valley"
- "Multiple Colors in the "Death" Desert"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Death Valley National Park
- Hotels in Death Valley National Park
- Transportation in Death Valley National Park
- Nightlife in Death Valley National Park
- Restaurants in Death Valley National Park
- Shopping in Death Valley National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Death Valley National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Death Valley National Park
- 96 Reviews
- 104 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Death Valley National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Death Valley National Park
- updated a Death Valley National Park Travelogue "Beyond The Road: the colors of Death Valley"
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "Re: B&Bs in Anchorage"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Beyond The Road: the colors of Death Valley"
- Wrote a Review Parting of the waters about Other Points of Interest in Death Valley National Park Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of Andraf's Death Valley National Park travel pages
Photos in Death Valley National ParkSee All Photos (104)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (27)
Latest Death Valley National Park hotel reviews
- Stovepipe Wells Village
- 628 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch Resort
- 1252 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Furnace Creek Campground
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 19, 2013
- Mesquite Springs Campground
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 16, 2013
- Sunset Campground
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 8, 2012