"Sedona: General and Spiritual" Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona by goingsolo
Sedona Travel Guide: 900 reviews and 2,145 photos
Sedona, home of the red rocks and haven to new age followers seeking enlightenment, is a sedate and scenic community only 2 hours North of Phoenix and about 2.5 hours south of the Grand Canyon. With an elevation of 4500 ft, Sedona has a relatively mild climate, although it can get cool in the winter, especially at night. Sedonas landscape is marked by red rock formations such as Cathedral, Bell and the recently renamed Snoopy Rock. These areas are rumored to possess mystical powers and to contain energy centers known as the vortexes. Boynton Canyon, just outside Sedona, is surrounded by Coconino National Forest and was supposedly the area which provided Walt Disney with the inspiration for the "Thunder Mountain Railroad" attraction. Oak Creek, which flows through its namesake canyon and portions of Red Rock State Park, is said to heal and cleanse the spirit.
Sedona has an abundance of activities, such that a first time visitor can easily spend a week in this area. Nearby Boynton Canyon and Red Rock State Park have numerous hiking trails. Pink Jeep tours (www.pinkjeep.com) offers four wheel drive excursions into the red rock areas as well. Sedona has world class golfing. As for culture, Sedona also has many art galleries and shops, particularly of the New Age variety, featuring elaborate crystals, candles and other items.
Although short on nightlife, Sedona is not lacking in fine cuisine. The Yavapai restaurant in Enchantment Resort is nothing short of spectacular, and the 5 star jacket only restaurant at L'Auberge is said to be worth the steep price.
- Pros:striking red rock scenery and abundant hiking opportunities
- Cons:lack of a nightlife (of that's what you're seeking, seek elsewhere)
- In a nutshell:Central Arizona's energy center
Sedona is most well known for its vortexes. A vortex is believed to be a place where the earth's energy emanates from... more travel advice
Sedona's year round mild weather and beautiful and somewhat rugged landscape present numerous hiking opportunities... more travel advice
- See All Courthouse Butte
- Not too hot and seldom too cold
- See All Shuttle from Phoenix to Sedona
- See All Coffeepot restaurant
- Leave sacred sites undisturbed
goingsolo's Related Pages
Sedona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Sedona"
- "Sedona, Red Rock Country"
- "Sedona: General and Spiritual"
- "AMONGST THE RED ROCKS"
- "Spiritual Mecca, Artistic Enclave & Outdoor Wonder"
- "Sedona - A Beautiful Place in Arizona"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sedona
- Hotels in Sedona
- Transportation in Sedona
- Nightlife in Sedona
- Restaurants in Sedona
- Shopping in Sedona
- Warnings and Dangers in Sedona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sedona
- 53 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Sedona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sedona
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue