"Pipe Springs National Monument" Pipe Spring National Monument by goingsolo
Pipe Spring National Monument Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 18 photos
Pipe Spring National Monument is a little known place in Northern Arizona. In an era before the conveniences of today's modern technology, the area was more popular as water could be found here. Pueblo and Paiute indians lived in the region and existed on hunting and gathering. But this oasis like environment drew the attention of another group. In the late 1800s, Mormon settlers homesteaded the land and built an outpost and "tithing ranch"- a place where cattle who were donated or tithed to the Mormon church were kept.
Pipe Spring Ranch was privately owned until the 1920's when it was purchased by the government and the national monument was established. In 1907, the Kaibab-Paiute Indian reservation was established on the land adjacent to the ranch.
Pipe Springs National Monument is unique in that it is a partnership between the US government and the Kaibab Band of Paiute Indians who own the land adjacent to the monument. The visitor center muesum serves as a tribute to these people and provides a dozen exhibits about past and present Paiute culture.
In the 1920's the land became a National Momument. It is a small out of the way location, but worth visiting if your travels take you to this area.
- Pros:An interesting place that is rich in history
- Cons:Very remote outpost
- In a nutshell:A place to visit if you're traveling to Kanab, Fredonia and environs
Although no longer a working ranch, some livestock remains at Pipe Springs. I tried to photograph the bulls, but they... more travel advice
Windsor Castle was the property built by early Mormon settlers who homesteaded the property. The only way to see the... more travel advice
goingsolo's Related Pages
Pipe Spring National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pipe Springs National Monument"
- "Definitely Off of the Beaten Track"
- "Basaic Pipe Spring National Monument Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pipe Spring National Monument
- Transportation in Pipe Spring National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pipe Spring National Monument
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Pipe Spring National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pipe Spring National Monument
Photos in Pipe Spring National MonumentSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue